Wednesday's scouting report: Pirates at Rays
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel 's inside look at Wednesday's game:
• Twenty Rays games have been decided by a shutout (nine wins, 11 losses). That's tied with the Cardinals (14-6) for most in the majors. Tampa's nine shutout victories are tied with the Blue Jays for second-most in the AL behind the Rangers (13). It's also the Rays' most shutouts wins ever through the first 76 games of the season. The Rays' 11 shutout losses are tied with the Padres for most in the majors.
• LHP Cesar Ramos threw 21⁄3 perfect innings vs. the Pirates on Monday and is emerging as a key piece of the Rays' bullpen. In the sixth inning, he struck out Pedro Alvarez, Travis Snider and Jordy Mercer on 10 pitches. Ramos has allowed one run over his past eight appearances (122⁄3 innings).
Two of Vanderbilt's most famous alumni, Pirates slugger Pedro Alvarez and Rays pitcher David Price, are keeping a close eye on their alma mater's College World Series showdown against Virginia. In the school's history, Vandy has won only one NCAA national title: 2007 women's bowling.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Statistically speaking: Can Pirates contain Hamilton on bases
- Friday’s scouting report: Reds at Pirates
- Pirates starting pitcher Cole growing in his 1st full major-league season
- Minor league notes: Baseball vagabonds improve stock with strong seasons
- Starkey: Bucs still battlin’
- Pirates can’t complete sweep of Brewers
- Pirates send Polanco to Triple-A Indianapolis; Tabata, Barmes return