Saturday's scouting report: Mets at Pirates
• Gerrit Cole (shoulder fatigue) is expected to return from the disabled list to start his first game since June 3 at San Diego. Cole's fastball averaged 95 mph prior to his injury so velocity could be an indicator if he's 100 percent. The Pirates were concerned before the DL stint that Cole had not been as efficient with his pitches as he was in 2013. Establishing fastball command and early contact are likely at the top of Cole's priority list today.
• The Mets are expected to be without David Wright, who was scratched from the lineup Friday and flown back to New York to have tests on his right shoulder. Wright has posted an anemic .396 slugging percentage this season. In 61 career games, Wright is a .270 hitter against the Pirates with six home runs and 38 RBIs.
Baseball Prospectus estimates it would take a package of Tyler Glasnow, Josh Bell, Nick Kingham and Jonathan Schwind to acquire Rays ace David Price. That would be a very steep price for Price, who is just a year and a half from free agency.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates notebook: Former 1st-round pick Tucker has shoulder surgery
- Pirates erupt for 6-run 2nd, maul Marlins behind Locke, McCutchen
- Gameday: Pirates at Marlins, Aug. 27, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Burnett’s simulated game goes well
- Lacking 2 of his pitches, Pirates’ Morton can’t find rhythm in loss to Marlins
- Gameday: Pirates at Marlins, Aug. 26, 2015
- Marte’s glove, walk-off homer push Pirates past Giants
- Comebacker risk forces pitchers to balance safety, comfort
- Starkey: Pirates will need Cole train rolling
- Mercer, Harrison likely to return vs. Giants, creating left-side logjam
- Gameday: Pirates vs. San Francisco Giants, Aug. 21, 2015