Pirates notebook: Cole remains on track for return to rotation
• Manager Clint Hurdle said Gerrit Cole felt fine Tuesday after throwing a simulated game Monday. Pitching coach Ray Searage has put together a throwing program for the final evaluation and Cole is on target to come off the disabled list this weekend. Hurdle said the reshuffled starting rotation likely will be revealed Wednesday.
• Third baseman Pedro Alvarez mashed a towering three-run homer on Monday night. On Tuesday, Alvarez was the designated hitter — but batted eighth in the order. “Pedro is down in the order, and I'm the guy who put him there,” Hurdle said. “It's not so much about the position. I think it speaks to the way you can best construct the lineup. The guys who swing and miss, you try to keep them separated. Our lineup can bite you in a lot of different ways; it's got speed and power.”
• High-A Bradenton outfielder Josh Bell was named to the United States squad for the All-Star Futures Game. A second-round pick in 2011, Bell is batting .335 with nine homers, five steals and a .904 on-base plus slugging percentage. The Futures Game will be played July 13 at Target Field in Minneapolis.
• The Pirates traded left-handed reliever Daniel Schlereth to the Detroit Tigers for cash. Schlereth had a 7.23 ERA and a 1.93 WHIP in 21 outings with Triple-A Indianapolis. Schlereth, 28, pitched for the Tigers from 2010-12.
— Rob Biertempfel
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Morton to start Tuesday against Red Sox
- Pitt notebook: Expanded game plan likely awaits Iowa
- Pirates notebook: Holdzkom’s wild ride continues
- Biertempfel: In wild-card game, Cole must get call
- Sunday’s scouting report: Cubs at Pirates
- Rare triple play sparks Pirates’ comeback victory over Cubs
- Pirates notebook: Remaining schedule favorable for Bucs’ postseason hopes
- Bucs’ rally falls short vs. young Cubs
- Friday’s scouting report: Cubs at Pirates
- Locke has strong outing to lift Pirates over Phillies in series opener