Pirates notebook: Hurdle weighing rotation options
• Manager Clint Hurdle wouldn't say Friday which pitcher would be leaving the rotation when Gerrit Cole comes off the disabled list Saturday, but he did lay out some of the factors they have considered when deciding whether Brandon Cumpton, Jeff Locke or Vance Worley would be the one to go. “You look at all the different options that you have available,” Hurdle said. “Part of it's performance, part of it's ‘asset allocation,' that term we used in new age baseball now that means the player has options. How you like your rotation setup — do you like a right-hander, do you like a left-hander? There's a number of different lenses you use when you make that decision and try and make sure that you maintain depth. So those would be the ones we've been looking at.” Cumpton, Locke and Worley have all pitched well in the month since the Pirates released Wandy Rodriguez and had Francisco Liriano (oblique strain) and Cole (shoulder fatigue) go on the disabled list. Of the three, Cumpton has the least amount of major league experience. Sending Locke down would leave them without a left-handed starter until Liriano returns, and Worley is out of options. “You need to do what's best for the organization at the time to keep the most competitive team you can in play and also continue to have depth,” Hurdle said.
• Mets third baseman David Wright, who extended his hitting streak to 10 games Thursday, was scratched from Friday's lineup with a sore left shoulder and returned to New York to have an MRI on Saturday. During his streak, Wright batted .385 with six doubles, two home runs and eight RBIs.
• Starling Marte remained out of the starting lineup because of a sore right middle finger. Travis Snider started in left field.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates star McCutchen marries in private ceremony
- Pirates notebook: Autographs to come at a cost at PirateFest
- Pirates enter Plan B with Martin off market
- Pirates notebook: Team offered catcher Martin 4-year contract
- Pirates trade Davis to A’s for international signing bonus money
- Pirates ready to protect top pitching prospects from Rule 5 draft
- Scouts: Acquiring Cervelli from Yankees cost Pirates promising reliever