Tuesday's scouting report: Diamondbacks at Pirates
• Jeff Locke has gone 1-1 with a 3.74 ERA over his past five starts. He left three of those games with the lead, only to be the victim of a blown save. In two career outings (one start) vs. the Diamondbacks, Locke is 0-1 with a 14.40 ERA. He yielded eight runs on 10 hits in 22⁄3 IP on Aug. 17, 2013 at PNC Park. He tossed 21⁄3 scoreless innings of relief Aug. 9, 2012.
• Andrew McCutchen is riding an eight-game hitting streak and went 36 for 105 in June. Since the start of the 2012 season, McCutchen leads all NL players with 474 hits. He has a .342 average at PNC Park this year.
Sunday, manager Clint Hurdle indicated rookie RF Gregory Polanco will get the day off Tuesday vs. the Diamondbacks. “It's a good time for him to catch his breath,” Hurdle said. Polanco's average is down to .288 after going hitless in his past 12 at-bats.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates’ Cole growing in 1st full season
- Starkey: Bucs still battlin’
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen returns to starting lineup; Alvarez out
- Stats Corner: Can Pirates’ Polanco handle the heat in season’s final weeks?
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Cardinals at Pirates
- Pirates send Polanco to Triple-A Indianapolis; Tabata, Barmes return
- Pirates down Cardinals, inch closer in wild-card chase
- Biertempfel: Bucs must balance playing hurt or sitting out
- Pirates notebook: Barmes back, gets start at SS
- Minor league notes: Baseball vagabonds improve stock with strong seasons
- Pirates notebook: Morton hopes to return this season