Tuesday's scouting report: Diamondbacks at Pirates
• Jeff Locke has gone 1-1 with a 3.74 ERA over his past five starts. He left three of those games with the lead, only to be the victim of a blown save. In two career outings (one start) vs. the Diamondbacks, Locke is 0-1 with a 14.40 ERA. He yielded eight runs on 10 hits in 2 2⁄3 IP on Aug. 17, 2013 at PNC Park. He tossed 2 1⁄3 scoreless innings of relief Aug. 9, 2012.
• Andrew McCutchen is riding an eight-game hitting streak and went 36 for 105 in June. Since the start of the 2012 season, McCutchen leads all NL players with 474 hits. He has a .342 average at PNC Park this year.
Sunday, manager Clint Hurdle indicated rookie RF Gregory Polanco will get the day off Tuesday vs. the Diamondbacks. “It's a good time for him to catch his breath,” Hurdle said. Polanco's average is down to .288 after going hitless in his past 12 at-bats.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Searage, Pirates ultra-confident
- Maddon, Hurdle are the models for modern major-league managers
- Cubs’ youth movement pays dividends, leads to postseason berth
- Pirates will play NL wild-card game at PNC Park after shutting out Reds
- Pirates notebook: Huntington weighs whether wild-card round should be expanded
- Rossi: Time to give Pirates owner Nutting his due
- Burnett pitches well in farewell, but Pirates lose to Reds
- Are Pirates better positioned to win it all this postseason?
- Pirates are clinging to waning chances of capturing NL Central
- Pirates notebook: It’s official: Cole to start wild-card game against Cubs
- Rossi: The case for the Pirates is their ace