Wednesday's scouting report: Diamondbacks at Pirates
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik's inside look at Wednesday's game:
• Charlie Morton is coming off a career-high, 11-strikeout performance at Tampa Bay, where he was a tough-luck loser. Morton primarily is known as a groundball pitcher, but he has increased his strikeout rate from 6.5 strikeouts per nine innings last season to 7.5 this season. Morton's strikeouts were way up in June when he averaged 10.9 per nine innings. Morton has increased the use of his curveball, which can be a swing-and-miss pitch.
• The Pirates never have faced Chase Anderson, who has been thrown into the rotation because of a rash of injuries.
A number of the Astros' internal trade discussions were leaked by Deadspin on Monday and authenticated by Yahoo. Astros GM Jeffrey Luhnow asked the Pirates for top pitching prospects Tyler Glasnow or Nick Kingham plus Luis Heredia in a deal for Bud Norris last year. Neal Huntington declined. Huntington was willing to listen about a number of prospects, but not Gregory Polanco or Jameson Taillon.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- RF Heisey, Reds avert sweep with a victory over Pirates at PNC Park
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall
- Stats Corner: Corner men Marte, Snider deliver punch
- Starkey: Bucs still battlin’
- Pirates minor league report: Bell concluding breakout season
- Sunday’s scouting report: Pirates vs. Reds
- Statistically speaking: Can Pirates contain Hamilton on bases
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench