Wednesday's scouting report: Diamondbacks at Pirates
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik's inside look at Wednesday's game:
• Charlie Morton is coming off a career-high, 11-strikeout performance at Tampa Bay, where he was a tough-luck loser. Morton primarily is known as a groundball pitcher, but he has increased his strikeout rate from 6.5 strikeouts per nine innings last season to 7.5 this season. Morton's strikeouts were way up in June when he averaged 10.9 per nine innings. Morton has increased the use of his curveball, which can be a swing-and-miss pitch.
• The Pirates never have faced Chase Anderson, who has been thrown into the rotation because of a rash of injuries.
A number of the Astros' internal trade discussions were leaked by Deadspin on Monday and authenticated by Yahoo. Astros GM Jeffrey Luhnow asked the Pirates for top pitching prospects Tyler Glasnow or Nick Kingham plus Luis Heredia in a deal for Bud Norris last year. Neal Huntington declined. Huntington was willing to listen about a number of prospects, but not Gregory Polanco or Jameson Taillon.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates notebook: Volquez open to re-signing with team
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Braves
- Pirates find a bridge at end of baseball world in Holdzkom
- Liriano, McCutchen help Pirates to 1-0 win over Braves
- Pirates notebook: Bucs set single-season attendance record
- New approach on offense has Pirates in playoff contention this season
- Pirates, Worley edge Brewers, 1-0, move to cusp of playoffs
- Rossi: The series that will define these Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Bucs batters seeing doubles
- Martin’s homer rescues Pirates in 4-2 victory over Brewers