Xxxday's scouting report: Xxx at Xxx
• Vance Worley has been a bargain find for the Pirates, but his 1.74 ERA is unsustainable because he's not missing many bats. He is a flyball pitcher who is eventually going to allow some more home runs. Still, if Worley can continue his excellent command — he has halved his career walk rate with a 1.31 walks-per-nine innings rate with the Pirates — he'll continue to be a quality mid-to-late rotation pitcher. Worley has limited current Diamondbacks players to a .209 average and .532 OPS in 43 combined at-bats.
• Brandon McCarthy has pitched much better than his 5.10 ERA and record suggest. McCarthy is walking 1.56 batters per nine innings and has a 55.6 groundball rate. McCarthy is suffering from a 20.3 home run/flyball percentage and hitters are batting .338 on balls in play. McCarthy is a candidate to have a stronger second half.
After starting 15 of the past 16 games, Josh Harrison was out of the lineup Wednesday. With the Pirates at full health, manager Clint Hurdle's lineup creativity will be tested.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates sign Corey Hart to 1-year deal
- Ex-Pirate Parker fights against Parkinson’s with optimistic attitude
- Pirates notebook: New catcher Cervelli eager to bond with staff
- Pirates notebook: Pirates open to signing Walker to extension
- Pirates trade for left-handed reliever Bastardo
- MLB notebook: Pirates’ Liriano gets $2 million bonus as part of 3-year, $39 million deal