Xxxday's scouting report: Xxx at Xxx
• Vance Worley has been a bargain find for the Pirates, but his 1.74 ERA is unsustainable because he's not missing many bats. He is a flyball pitcher who is eventually going to allow some more home runs. Still, if Worley can continue his excellent command — he has halved his career walk rate with a 1.31 walks-per-nine innings rate with the Pirates — he'll continue to be a quality mid-to-late rotation pitcher. Worley has limited current Diamondbacks players to a .209 average and .532 OPS in 43 combined at-bats.
• Brandon McCarthy has pitched much better than his 5.10 ERA and record suggest. McCarthy is walking 1.56 batters per nine innings and has a 55.6 groundball rate. McCarthy is suffering from a 20.3 home run/flyball percentage and hitters are batting .338 on balls in play. McCarthy is a candidate to have a stronger second half.
After starting 15 of the past 16 games, Josh Harrison was out of the lineup Wednesday. With the Pirates at full health, manager Clint Hurdle's lineup creativity will be tested.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates bolster bullpen by trading for former closer Soria
- Pirates notebook: Blanton introduced; Worley designated for assignment
- Pirates acquire pitcher Blanton from Royals for cash
- Pirates notebook: Melancon bails out Watson with extended outing
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 30, 2015
- Kang’s 9th-inning home run gives Pirates wild victory over Twins
- Pirates notebook: Prospect Tucker unaware of ‘trade’ frenzy
- Gameday: Pirates at Twins, July 29, 2015
- Pirates’ Liriano unaffected by poor last outing against Twins
- McCutchen, Pirates cruise to interleague victory over Twins