Friday's scouting report: Phillies at Pirates
• Gerrit Cole's velocity declined during his June 3 start at San Diego and his velocity also declined in his first start back against the New York Mets last weekend. Cole was still touching 95 mph in his last inning of work, but it's something to keep an eye on. Cole relies heavily on his fastball but opponents are hitting below .200 against each of his off-speed pitches. Perhaps he will increase off-speed usage as he did in the second half last season.
• The Pirates have combined for a .241 career average against the pitcher formerly known as Fausto Carmona. Roberto Hernandez has always struggled with fastball command and is walking 4.5 batters per nine innings.
Diamondbacks starter Brandon McCarthy could be an excellent trade target for the Pirates — if the Pirates are looking for pitching. McCarthy's 5.11 ERA is unslightly but his fielding-independent numbers suggest he is much better as McCarthy's xFIP stands at 2.92. McCarthy is a free agent after the end of the season and owed $4.5 million.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates sign Corey Hart to 1-year deal
- Ex-Pirate Parker fights against Parkinson’s with optimistic attitude
- MLB notebook: Pirates’ Liriano gets $2 million bonus as part of 3-year, $39 million deal