Polanco turned down multiyear deal worth $75 million with Pirates
Before Gregory Polanco was called up to the major leagues, the Pirates offered their prized right fielder a contract that would have kept him in Pittsburgh through 2024.
Polanco turned down that offer, industry sources told the Tribune-Review, but the two sides remain interested in working out a long-term deal.
“I'm still open to it,” Polanco said Sunday. “We're still talking.”
Pirates general manager Neal Huntington and agent Rick Thurman, who represents Polanco, declined to comment.
Sources confirmed that the Pirates offered an eight-year contract that included three options. The total value was said to be around $75 million, with a significant portion of that coming in the option years.
The guaranteed portion of the deal would have bought out all of Polanco's arbitration eligibility and his first two years of free agency.
The six-year, $51.5 million contract center fielder Andrew McCutchen signed in March 2012 has one club option. It bought out McCutchen's first two years of free agency.
In March, left fielder Starling Marte agreed to a six-year, $31 million extension. The deal, which buys out Marte's first year of free agency, also has two club options.
It previously was reported that during spring training, Polanco passed on a seven-year contract offer that was worth slightly less than $25 million.
Polanco, 22, made his big league debut June 10. It's likely that his call-up was late enough into the season that Polanco won't qualify for Super 2 status, which would have given him an extra year of arbitration eligibility.
Even with just three years of arbitration, Polanco could be on track for a sizeable payday in the near future.
Through his first 19 games with the Pirates, he is batting .288 with two home runs, four stolen bases and a .749 on-base plus slugging percentage.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.