Saturday's scouting report: Phillies at Pirates
Pirates reporter Bob Cohn'sinside look at Saturday's game:
• Edinson Volquez appears to be another successful reclamation pitching project for the Pirates. Although his season numbers look ordinary, the 30-year-old righthander is 5-2 with a 3.38 ERA since May 22. Coming off a 6-0 win over the Mets on Sunday, he has thrown 13 straight scoreless innings.
• Volquez's mound counterpart, rookie David Shumacher, still is trying to find his way. In his third start, June 3 against Washington, the 25-year-old right-hander gave up seven earned runs in six innings. He has pitched better since, notably in a win over St. Louis on June 19 in which he yielded one run and four hits in 72⁄3 innings. But he has lasted five innings in each of his past two starts, walking nine, three more than in his first six starts.
Friday marked the second year in a row the Phillies and Pirates faced off on July 4. The teams have met six times on Independence Day, with all of those games being played in Pittsburgh.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates’ Axford overcame long odds to reach majors
- Friday’s scouting report: Pirates at Brewers
- Statistically speaking: Pirates, Brewers possess strengths up the middle
- Rossi: Walker’s back another blow to Bucs
- Rossi: Pirates showing more this summer
- Pirates notebook: Morton hopes to return this season