Saturday's scouting report: Phillies at Pirates
Pirates reporterBob Cohn'sinside look at Saturday's game:
• Edinson Volquez appears to be another successful reclamation pitching project for the Pirates. Although his season numbers look ordinary, the 30-year-old righthander is 5-2 with a 3.38 ERA since May 22. Coming off a 6-0 win over the Mets on Sunday, he has thrown 13 straight scoreless innings.
• Volquez's mound counterpart, rookie David Shumacher, still is trying to find his way. In his third start, June 3 against Washington, the 25-year-old right-hander gave up seven earned runs in six innings. He has pitched better since, notably in a win over St. Louis on June 19 in which he yielded one run and four hits in 7 2⁄3 innings. But he has lasted five innings in each of his past two starts, walking nine, three more than in his first six starts.
Friday marked the second year in a row the Phillies and Pirates faced off on July 4. The teams have met six times on Independence Day, with all of those games being played in Pittsburgh.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Hurdle: Soria likely to assume setup role with Watson
- Pirates place Burnett on 15-day disabled list
- Gameday: Pirates at Cincinnati, Aug. 1, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Blanton introduced; Worley designated for assignment
- Pirates bolster bullpen by trading for former closer Soria
- Pirates’ Burnett endures another poor start in blowout loss to Reds
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 31, 2015
- Pirates acquire pitcher Blanton from Royals for cash
- Kang among Pirates’ best at extending at-bats