Sunday's scouting report: Phillies at Pirates
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Sunday's game:
• Going into Saturday's game, 1B Ryan Howard had zero home runs and one RBI over 15 games. The Phillies went 4-11 in those games. The dry spell came after a four-game stretch in which Howard hit three homers and collected nine RBIs. In 50 career games against the Pirates, Howard has batted .237 with six homers and 37 RBIs. On May 31, Howard notched his 1,000th RBI when he mashed a three-run homer vs. the Mets.
• The Phillies are averaging nearly a full run scored per game on the road (4.17 runs per game) than at Citizens Bank Park (3.44 rpg) this season. The Phils have the fifth-best road batting average (.250) in the NL and also rank fifth in runs per game. However, the Phillies so far have played only 41 road games, which is fifth-fewest in the majors.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Ex-Pirate Parker fights against Parkinson’s with optimistic attitude
- Pirates sign Corey Hart to 1-year deal
- Pirates notebook: New catcher Cervelli eager to bond with staff
- MLB notebook: Pirates’ Liriano gets $2 million bonus as part of 3-year, $39 million deal
- Pirates notebook: Team ‘more relevant’ as Winter Meetings end
- Pirates trade for left-handed reliever Bastardo
- Pirates finalize Liriano’s 3-year, $39 million deal