Sunday's scouting report: Phillies at Pirates
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Sunday's game:
• Going into Saturday's game, 1B Ryan Howard had zero home runs and one RBI over 15 games. The Phillies went 4-11 in those games. The dry spell came after a four-game stretch in which Howard hit three homers and collected nine RBIs. In 50 career games against the Pirates, Howard has batted .237 with six homers and 37 RBIs. On May 31, Howard notched his 1,000th RBI when he mashed a three-run homer vs. the Mets.
• The Phillies are averaging nearly a full run scored per game on the road (4.17 runs per game) than at Citizens Bank Park (3.44 rpg) this season. The Phils have the fifth-best road batting average (.250) in the NL and also rank fifth in runs per game. However, the Phillies so far have played only 41 road games, which is fifth-fewest in the majors.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Phillies’ Burnett not demanding trade
- Selig: Pirates’ rebirth a positive step for baseball
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Dodgers at Pirates
- Outfielder Polanco driving force for Pirates in victory over Dodgers
- Pirates minor league notebook: Streaking Ramirez surpasses Marte’s mark
- Rossi: Liriano no ace, but he’s Bucs’ key
- Pirates notebook: Huntington staying patient as trade deadline approaches
- Monday’s scouting report: Dodgers at Pirates
- Martin’s infectious attitude has helped turn around Pirates’ fortunes