Sunday's scouting report: Phillies at Pirates
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Sunday's game:
• Going into Saturday's game, 1B Ryan Howard had zero home runs and one RBI over 15 games. The Phillies went 4-11 in those games. The dry spell came after a four-game stretch in which Howard hit three homers and collected nine RBIs. In 50 career games against the Pirates, Howard has batted .237 with six homers and 37 RBIs. On May 31, Howard notched his 1,000th RBI when he mashed a three-run homer vs. the Mets.
• The Phillies are averaging nearly a full run scored per game on the road (4.17 runs per game) than at Citizens Bank Park (3.44 rpg) this season. The Phils have the fifth-best road batting average (.250) in the NL and also rank fifth in runs per game. However, the Phillies so far have played only 41 road games, which is fifth-fewest in the majors.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates say goodbye to veteran leaders Burnett, Ramirez
- A field day on social media as Pirates’ Rodriguez attacks Gatorade cooler
- Pirates notebook: Fastball command issues hurt Cole against Cubs
- Cubs’ Fowler, Schwarber deliver to sink Pirates
- Starkey: Pirates gaining bad big-game rep
- Rossi: Cole is simply not good enough for Pirates
- Pirates no match for Cubs, Arrieta in wild-card loss
- Despite hometown ties, Walker knows time with Pirates likely nearing end
- Pirates notebook: Tempers boil after Arrieta beaned