Monday's scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
• Adam Wainwright has always given the Pirates fits, owning a 10-5 record with a 2.71 ERA in his career against them. Wainwright's signature pitch is his curveball, and the Pirates have struggled against curveballs in recent seasons. The Pirates ranked 28th against the pitch last year, according to Fangraphs.com, and Wainwright dominated the Pirates with the breaking pitch. This year the Pirates have improved to seventh in baseball against the curveball.
• Charlie Morton has struggled mightily against the Cardinals in his career, going 2-10 with a 6.11 ERA. But the emergence of Morton's curveball, particularly against left-handed hitters, could be key. Lefties are batting .219 against Morton this season after hitting .304 against him for his career.
Pirates GM Neal Huntington said Sunday the Pirates will continue to look to upgrade their roster through the trade market and are willing to part with prospects. Huntington did not rule out trading for a starting pitcher despite the team's pitching depth but he indicated it's not a pressing need.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Cardinals grab victory over pitcher Cole, Pirates with a late rally
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Pirates minor league report: Bell concluding breakout season
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- RF Heisey, Reds avert sweep with a victory over Pirates at PNC Park
- Statistically speaking: Can Pirates contain Hamilton on bases
- Biertempfel: First base becoming new hot corner for Pirates