Monday's scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
• Adam Wainwright has always given the Pirates fits, owning a 10-5 record with a 2.71 ERA in his career against them. Wainwright's signature pitch is his curveball, and the Pirates have struggled against curveballs in recent seasons. The Pirates ranked 28th against the pitch last year, according to Fangraphs.com, and Wainwright dominated the Pirates with the breaking pitch. This year the Pirates have improved to seventh in baseball against the curveball.
• Charlie Morton has struggled mightily against the Cardinals in his career, going 2-10 with a 6.11 ERA. But the emergence of Morton's curveball, particularly against left-handed hitters, could be key. Lefties are batting .219 against Morton this season after hitting .304 against him for his career.
Pirates GM Neal Huntington said Sunday the Pirates will continue to look to upgrade their roster through the trade market and are willing to part with prospects. Huntington did not rule out trading for a starting pitcher despite the team's pitching depth but he indicated it's not a pressing need.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates notebook: Cole scratched from rehab start at Indianapolis
- Locke’s difficulties continue thanks to old friends
- Saturday’s scouting report: Pirates at Diamondbacks
- Rossi: Buying trust is a must for Pirates
- Pirates’ attempts to bolster roster at deadline a fruitless endeavor
- Pirates notebook: Marte to begin rehab stint at Triple-A Saturday
- Stats Corner: Mercer rediscovers offensive game
- Pirates pitching guru Benedict created a ‘Vanimal’ in Worley
- Xxxday’s scouting report: Pirates at Giants
- Friday’s scouting report: Pirates at Diamondbacks