Pirates shortstop Barmes out 4-6 weeks with groin strain
Shortstop Clint Barmes will be out four to six weeks with a Grade 3 left groin strain suffered in batting practice Saturday, the Pirates announced Sunday.
Barmes was placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to June 30.
“I knew it wasn't good because it popped,” Barmes said. “There was nothing out of the ordinary in my routine or anything that way. There's always been a soreness or stiffness in parts of my body that I've played through that wasn't anything different or uncommon from what I'm used to. ... I was getting a backhand throw and coming across my body, and as soon as I turned to throw, I felt a pop. So, at that point, I walked off and took it to the trainer.”
The Pirates recalled infielder Michael Martinez from Triple-A Indianapolis.
General manager Neal Huntington said Barmes' injury will allow Josh Harrison to get more starts at shortstop while Martinez will fill Barmes' role as a defensive option off the bench.
Other possibilities include bringing up Indianapolis second baseman Robert Andino, Huntington said, or shortstop Dean Anna, who was claimed off waivers from the Yankees on Saturday. They also will look at what external options are available.
“You hope to have the internal option as your best option, but we wouldn't be doing our jobs if we didn't look for an external option,” Huntington said. “We're certainly comfortable that Josh will get some time at short. He was probably going to get some time at short anyway, and he'll get more time there now.”
Karen Price is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @KarenPrice_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Thursday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates
- New approach on offense has Pirates in playoff contention this season
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle quiet on rotation plans
- Morton, Pirates blank Red Sox in series opener
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates
- Pitt notebook: Expanded game plan likely awaits Iowa
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates
- Biertempfel: In wild-card game, Cole must get call
- Pirates notebook: Holdzkom’s wild ride continues
- Pirates notebook: Morton to start Tuesday against Red Sox