Pirates shortstop Barmes out 4-6 weeks with groin strain
Shortstop Clint Barmes will be out four to six weeks with a Grade 3 left groin strain suffered in batting practice Saturday, the Pirates announced Sunday.
Barmes was placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to June 30.
“I knew it wasn't good because it popped,” Barmes said. “There was nothing out of the ordinary in my routine or anything that way. There's always been a soreness or stiffness in parts of my body that I've played through that wasn't anything different or uncommon from what I'm used to. ... I was getting a backhand throw and coming across my body, and as soon as I turned to throw, I felt a pop. So, at that point, I walked off and took it to the trainer.”
The Pirates recalled infielder Michael Martinez from Triple-A Indianapolis.
General manager Neal Huntington said Barmes' injury will allow Josh Harrison to get more starts at shortstop while Martinez will fill Barmes' role as a defensive option off the bench.
Other possibilities include bringing up Indianapolis second baseman Robert Andino, Huntington said, or shortstop Dean Anna, who was claimed off waivers from the Yankees on Saturday. They also will look at what external options are available.
“You hope to have the internal option as your best option, but we wouldn't be doing our jobs if we didn't look for an external option,” Huntington said. “We're certainly comfortable that Josh will get some time at short. He was probably going to get some time at short anyway, and he'll get more time there now.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Blue Jays’ Martin has ‘nothing but praise’ for former Pirates teammates
- Pirates special instructor Tekulve taking second chance to heart
- Surgeon to examine Pirates’ Cumpton after pitcher experienced elbow discomfort
- Pirates notebook: Hart ‘down a few days’ after cutting foot
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 8, Blue Jays 7
- Rossi: Fitting in will be Kang’s biggest hurdle
- Pirates starting pitcher Worley is in right place, right time with team
- Sawchik: Should McCutchen really get a huge salary bump?
- Burnett’s farewell tour wishlist has just 1 item: Pirates World Series
- Rossi: Pirates better with Maz on scene
- Pirates notebook: Sadler gets first Grapefruit start