Pirates shortstop Barmes out 4-6 weeks with groin strain
Shortstop Clint Barmes will be out four to six weeks with a Grade 3 left groin strain suffered in batting practice Saturday, the Pirates announced Sunday.
Barmes was placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to June 30.
“I knew it wasn't good because it popped,” Barmes said. “There was nothing out of the ordinary in my routine or anything that way. There's always been a soreness or stiffness in parts of my body that I've played through that wasn't anything different or uncommon from what I'm used to. ... I was getting a backhand throw and coming across my body, and as soon as I turned to throw, I felt a pop. So, at that point, I walked off and took it to the trainer.”
The Pirates recalled infielder Michael Martinez from Triple-A Indianapolis.
General manager Neal Huntington said Barmes' injury will allow Josh Harrison to get more starts at shortstop while Martinez will fill Barmes' role as a defensive option off the bench.
Other possibilities include bringing up Indianapolis second baseman Robert Andino, Huntington said, or shortstop Dean Anna, who was claimed off waivers from the Yankees on Saturday. They also will look at what external options are available.
“You hope to have the internal option as your best option, but we wouldn't be doing our jobs if we didn't look for an external option,” Huntington said. “We're certainly comfortable that Josh will get some time at short. He was probably going to get some time at short anyway, and he'll get more time there now.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Continuing legend of Pirate Ray
- No certainty for Pirates’ call-up veterans
- Pirates notebook: Burnett encouraged by extended simulated game
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle’s faith in Polanco pays off
- Biertempfel: Pittsburgh native faced quick learning curve as Marlins GM
- Patience serves as virtue amid prospect Glasnow’s quest for majors
- Strong-armed outfielder Garcia growing into all-around threat
- Happ’s strong start, Ramirez’s homer pace Pirates past Rockies
- Starting 9: Pirates place renewed emphasis on nabbing base-stealers
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 30, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle mulling rotation options