Tuesday's scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
• Carlos Martinez ranks 13th in the NL with a dozen holds through Sunday, but moved into the rotation when Michael Wacha and Jaime Garcia went down with injuries. In his last outing, Martinez outdid Madison Bumgarner and picked up the win vs. the Giants. Martinez worked six innings, yielded one run on five hits and one walk and struck out six.
• Cardinals SS Jhonny Peralta was in the cleanup spot Thursday for the fourth time this season and hit a two-run HR vs. the Giants. It was Peralta's 16th career HR in the fourth spot and his first since doing it with the Tigers in 2011. Peralta is the first Cardinals SS to homer as the No. 4 batter since Edgar Renteria in 2003. Before that, the last one to do it was Ken Boyer in 1959.
Pirates pitching guru Jim Benedict was with the team for a few days at the end of its just-completed homestand. It was Benedict's first chance to work hands-on with reliever Ernesto Frieri. Benedict, a longtime pitching instructor and scout, serves as a special assistant to GM Neal Huntington.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates say goodbye to veteran leaders Burnett, Ramirez
- Pirates notebook: Fastball command issues hurt Cole against Cubs
- A field day on social media as Pirates’ Rodriguez attacks Gatorade cooler
- Starkey: Pirates gaining bad big-game rep
- Rossi: Cole is simply not good enough for Pirates
- Cubs’ Fowler, Schwarber deliver to sink Pirates
- Pirates no match for Cubs, Arrieta in wild-card loss
- Pirates notebook: Tempers boil after Arrieta beaned
- Managers opt for different strategies in wild-card contest
- Maddon, Hurdle are the models for modern major-league managers
- Starting 9: How can the Pirates catch the Cardinals in the future?