Tuesday's scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
• Carlos Martinez ranks 13th in the NL with a dozen holds through Sunday, but moved into the rotation when Michael Wacha and Jaime Garcia went down with injuries. In his last outing, Martinez outdid Madison Bumgarner and picked up the win vs. the Giants. Martinez worked six innings, yielded one run on five hits and one walk and struck out six.
• Cardinals SS Jhonny Peralta was in the cleanup spot Thursday for the fourth time this season and hit a two-run HR vs. the Giants. It was Peralta's 16th career HR in the fourth spot and his first since doing it with the Tigers in 2011. Peralta is the first Cardinals SS to homer as the No. 4 batter since Edgar Renteria in 2003. Before that, the last one to do it was Ken Boyer in 1959.
Pirates pitching guru Jim Benedict was with the team for a few days at the end of its just-completed homestand. It was Benedict's first chance to work hands-on with reliever Ernesto Frieri. Benedict, a longtime pitching instructor and scout, serves as a special assistant to GM Neal Huntington.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Phillies’ Burnett not demanding trade
- Selig: Pirates’ rebirth a positive step for baseball
- Rossi: Liriano no ace, but he’s Bucs’ key
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Dodgers at Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Huntington staying patient as trade deadline approaches
- Outfielder Polanco driving force for Pirates in victory over Dodgers
- Kovacevic: Who’s better than Cutch?
- Snider’s pinch-hit double lifts Pirates over Rockies
- Biertempfel: One man’s cause to canonize Roberto Clemente
- Pirates minor league notebook: Streaking Ramirez surpasses Marte’s mark