Tuesday's scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
• Carlos Martinez ranks 13th in the NL with a dozen holds through Sunday, but moved into the rotation when Michael Wacha and Jaime Garcia went down with injuries. In his last outing, Martinez outdid Madison Bumgarner and picked up the win vs. the Giants. Martinez worked six innings, yielded one run on five hits and one walk and struck out six.
• Cardinals SS Jhonny Peralta was in the cleanup spot Thursday for the fourth time this season and hit a two-run HR vs. the Giants. It was Peralta's 16th career HR in the fourth spot and his first since doing it with the Tigers in 2011. Peralta is the first Cardinals SS to homer as the No. 4 batter since Edgar Renteria in 2003. Before that, the last one to do it was Ken Boyer in 1959.
Pirates pitching guru Jim Benedict was with the team for a few days at the end of its just-completed homestand. It was Benedict's first chance to work hands-on with reliever Ernesto Frieri. Benedict, a longtime pitching instructor and scout, serves as a special assistant to GM Neal Huntington.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Burnett pitches well in farewell, but Pirates lose to Reds
- Are Pirates better positioned to win it all this postseason?
- Pirates fans on edge as season again coming down to wild card
- Starting 9: How can the Pirates catch the Cardinals in the future?
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Reds, Oct. 4, 2015
- Pirates notebook: It’s official: Cole to start wild-card game against Cubs
- Pirates notebook: Morton traces struggles to mechanics of delivery
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Reds October 3, 2015
- Marte’s 2-run homer in 12th polishes off Reds
- Starkey: Outfield collision alters perspective
- Photo gallery: Last Pirates game at Three Rivers Stadium, Oct. 1, 2000