Friday's scouting report: Pirates at Reds
• One day after 2B Brandon Phillips sprained his wrist, the Reds on Thursday called up INF Kristopher Negron from Triple-A Louisville. Negron can play 2B, 3B, SS and all three OF spots. He was the Red Sox's seventh-round draft pick in 2006 and was traded to the Reds in 2009 for SS Alex Gonzalez. At Louisville, Negron batted .269 with 15 doubles and nine stolen bases. He played in four games with the Reds in 2012.
• Since the start of the 2009 season, Andrew McCutchen has 17 HRs vs. the Reds, the most against them by any players in the majors. McCutchen has hit safely in nine of 10 games this season against Cincinnati, going 15 for 39 (.385), including three doubles and three homers.
Josh Harrison is the first former University of Cincinnati player to be named to the All-Star team since Kevin Youkilis (2008, 2009, 2011). Harrison ranks among Cincy's all-time top 10 in career average (.358), runs (192), stolen bases (63) and on-base percentage (.439).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Pirates plan to carry Hurdle deep into playoffs
- Pirates notebook: Martin feels ‘pretty good,’ will start vs. Giants
- Harrison’s ‘magic’ has helped to carry Pirates into MLB’s postseason
- Volquez latest rehabbed arm to get ball on big stage for Pirates
- Scouting report: Giants at Pirates
- 20 improbable Pirates wins in 2014
- Tekulve to throw out 1st pitch of Pirates’ postseason
- Rossi: No matter outcome, Pirates arrive
- Mercer’s improved defense at shortstop gives Pirates a boost
- Inside the decision: Pirates chose their own adventure
- Rossi: The series that will define these Pirates