Saturday's scouting report: Pirates at Reds
• The Reds with the most experience against Charlie Morton, Joey Votto (quad) and Brandon Phillips (hand), are on the DL, which is good news for the Pirates since both were .300 career hitters against Morton. Todd Frazier has a .417 average in a small sample-size against the Pirates' right-hander. ... Morton has 49 strikeouts in his last 55 innings as his curveball has been playing as a true swing-and-miss pitch. Keeping the ball on the ground is key in Cincinnati, and Morton remains one of the game's best groundball pitchers.
• The Pirates can't expect Mike Leake to beat himself as he is walking a career-low 1.79 batters per nine innings. Leake is 1-0 against the Pirates this season, allowing seven runs in 13 2⁄3 innings over two starts against the Pirates. Leake has become more fastball dependent this season.
The Pirates don't play straight platoons. Despite facing the right-handed Mat Latos on Friday, Ike Davis was out of the lineup as he is 0 for 8 in his career against Latos.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Sanchez odd man out with Pirates recalling Stewart
- Marte’s bat, Worley’s arm show improvement in Pirates win
- Gameday: Pirates vs./at Opponent, Month Day, Year
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Brewers, April 17, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Burnett, Cervelli rekindle bond
- Pirates get ready to face Brewers pitcher Nelson, hope for better results
- Pirates’ Melancon isn’t worried about drop in velocity
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen out of lineup — ‘It’s frustrating’
- Rossi: It’s Opening Day, but the Pirates don’t pay
- Rossi: Life without Martin will be all right
- Minor league report: Bell gets bigger with move to 1st base