Saturday's scouting report: Pirates at Reds
• The Reds with the most experience against Charlie Morton, Joey Votto (quad) and Brandon Phillips (hand), are on the DL, which is good news for the Pirates since both were .300 career hitters against Morton. Todd Frazier has a .417 average in a small sample-size against the Pirates' right-hander. ... Morton has 49 strikeouts in his last 55 innings as his curveball has been playing as a true swing-and-miss pitch. Keeping the ball on the ground is key in Cincinnati, and Morton remains one of the game's best groundball pitchers.
• The Pirates can't expect Mike Leake to beat himself as he is walking a career-low 1.79 batters per nine innings. Leake is 1-0 against the Pirates this season, allowing seven runs in 132⁄3 innings over two starts against the Pirates. Leake has become more fastball dependent this season.
The Pirates don't play straight platoons. Despite facing the right-handed Mat Latos on Friday, Ike Davis was out of the lineup as he is 0 for 8 in his career against Latos.
Travis Sawchik is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @Sawchik_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates minor league report: Bell concluding breakout season
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall
- Statistically speaking: Can Pirates contain Hamilton on bases
- Starkey: Bucs still battlin’
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench
- Biertempfel: First base becoming new hot corner for Pirates