Saturday's scouting report: Pirates at Reds
• The Reds with the most experience against Charlie Morton, Joey Votto (quad) and Brandon Phillips (hand), are on the DL, which is good news for the Pirates since both were .300 career hitters against Morton. Todd Frazier has a .417 average in a small sample-size against the Pirates' right-hander. ... Morton has 49 strikeouts in his last 55 innings as his curveball has been playing as a true swing-and-miss pitch. Keeping the ball on the ground is key in Cincinnati, and Morton remains one of the game's best groundball pitchers.
• The Pirates can't expect Mike Leake to beat himself as he is walking a career-low 1.79 batters per nine innings. Leake is 1-0 against the Pirates this season, allowing seven runs in 132⁄3 innings over two starts against the Pirates. Leake has become more fastball dependent this season.
The Pirates don't play straight platoons. Despite facing the right-handed Mat Latos on Friday, Ike Davis was out of the lineup as he is 0 for 8 in his career against Latos.
Travis Sawchik is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @Sawchik_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates will implement price increase for 2015 tickets
- Pirates bench coach Jeff Banister named Rangers manager
- Rossi: Pirates can’t waste McCutchen’s prime
- Pirates GM Huntington believes his coaching staff will return intact
- Pirates organization to continue pursuing value free agents in offseason
- Pirates notebook: Team wary of Polanco, Marte playing full winter season
- Pirates’ Banister named finalist for Rangers’ managing job