Sunday's scouting report: Pirates at Reds
• Francisco Liriano hasn't pitched in a big league game since June 10, when he strained his left oblique during a start vs. the Cubs. Today's outing will be a success if Liriano shows he's healthy and if the Pirates give him some run support for a change. He's gotten more than two runs of support while he's been on the mound in just two of his 14 starts. Liriano is 1-3 with a 2.84 ERA in six road starts this season.
• Reds CF Billy Hamilton went 3 for 5 Friday in the comeback win over the Pirates. It's the 10th time in 88 games that Hamilton has gotten three or more hits. According to Elias, only two Reds rookies in the past 60 years have had 10 games with three-plus hits in their first 88 games of a season. The other two were Tommy Helms in 1966 and Joey Votto in 2008.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates sign free agent 1B-OF Goebbert, RHP Webster
- Pirates sign independent league pitcher
- Pirates protect top prospects in advance of Rule 5 draft
- Rossi: Baseball should retire Roberto Clemente’s No. 21
- Pirates GM Huntington declines comment on trade report
- Pirates, Orioles had trade talks involving 2B Walker