Sunday's scouting report: Pirates at Reds
• Francisco Liriano hasn't pitched in a big league game since June 10, when he strained his left oblique during a start vs. the Cubs. Today's outing will be a success if Liriano shows he's healthy and if the Pirates give him some run support for a change. He's gotten more than two runs of support while he's been on the mound in just two of his 14 starts. Liriano is 1-3 with a 2.84 ERA in six road starts this season.
• Reds CF Billy Hamilton went 3 for 5 Friday in the comeback win over the Pirates. It's the 10th time in 88 games that Hamilton has gotten three or more hits. According to Elias, only two Reds rookies in the past 60 years have had 10 games with three-plus hits in their first 88 games of a season. The other two were Tommy Helms in 1966 and Joey Votto in 2008.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 20 improbable Pirates wins in 2014
- It’s official: Volquez to start Wednesday for Pirates
- Mercer’s improved defense at shortstop gives Pirates a boost
- Inside the decision: Pirates chose their own adventure
- Pirates set sights on making postseason play ‘an every-year deal’
- Rossi: No matter outcome, Pirates arrive
- Do Pirates have what it takes to end World Series drought?
- Pirates bench coach Banister interviews for Astros manager job
- Saturday’s scouting report: Pirates at Reds
- Pirates notebook: Pirates prepare for playoff berth celebration
- Pitcher Cueto, Reds dash Pirates’ division title hopes in finale