Thursday's scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
• Cardinals rookie RF Oscar Taveras had a pair of hits Tuesday and was back in the lineup again Wednesday. Manager Mike Matheny might want to give Taveras, who struggled in his first stint in the majors this year, more playing time in place of slumping Allen Craig. Although he led the team with 27 hits in June, Craig is hitless in his past nine at-bats.
• Pedro Alvarez is the 23rd player in Pirates history to hit 100 career HRs. Fifty of Alvarez's long balls have come since the start of the 2013 season. The only NL player to go deep more often in that span is Diamondbacks 1B Paul Goldschmidt (52). Going into Wednesday's game, Alvarez's 12 HRs and 41 RBIs since 2011 were the most by any player vs. the Cardinals in that span.
The Daily Meal, a website devoted to all things food and drink, sent an interview request to the Pirates to be part of “a roundup of what ballplayers eat.” There's no word yet on which, if any, Pirate players responded, but the story is expected to be online next week.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Former Pirates pitcher Happ agrees to $36 million, 3-year deal with Blue Jays
- Pirates sign free agent 1B-OF Goebbert, RHP Webster
- Pirates sign independent league pitcher
- Pirates, Orioles had trade talks involving 2B Walker
- Pirates’ Marte lauded as baseball’s best left fielder
- Rossi: Baseball should retire Roberto Clemente’s No. 21
- Pirates season opener moved to April 3