Thursday's scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
• Cardinals rookie RF Oscar Taveras had a pair of hits Tuesday and was back in the lineup again Wednesday. Manager Mike Matheny might want to give Taveras, who struggled in his first stint in the majors this year, more playing time in place of slumping Allen Craig. Although he led the team with 27 hits in June, Craig is hitless in his past nine at-bats.
• Pedro Alvarez is the 23rd player in Pirates history to hit 100 career HRs. Fifty of Alvarez's long balls have come since the start of the 2013 season. The only NL player to go deep more often in that span is Diamondbacks 1B Paul Goldschmidt (52). Going into Wednesday's game, Alvarez's 12 HRs and 41 RBIs since 2011 were the most by any player vs. the Cardinals in that span.
The Daily Meal, a website devoted to all things food and drink, sent an interview request to the Pirates to be part of “a roundup of what ballplayers eat.” There's no word yet on which, if any, Pirate players responded, but the story is expected to be online next week.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Wainwright, Cardinals rough up Locke in 6-4 victory over Pirates
- Lambo no longer in limbo with Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Polanco says demotion to Indianapolis helped
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Cardinals grab victory over pitcher Cole, Pirates with a late rally
- Pirates minor league report: Bell concluding breakout season
- RF Heisey, Reds avert sweep with a victory over Pirates at PNC Park
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline