Pirates notebook: Pirates recall Decker, send Cumpton back to Indy
• The Pirates on Thursday recalled outfielder Jaff Decker and sent right-hander Brandon Cumpton back to Triple-A Indianapolis. Decker was with the Pirates for three games in mid-May and went 0 for 3. At Indy, Decker hit .266 with four home runs. In his first nine games this month, Decker batted .344 (11 for 32), including four doubles, a triple and six runs scored. “We added a bat,” manager Clint Hurdle said. “He can defend, he can pinch-run. He gives us a few different weapons to win a game.” Cumpton made a spot start Wednesday against the St. Louis Cardinals in place of injured righty Gerrit Cole. Cumpton worked 31⁄3 innings and allowed four runs on nine hits. The Pirates will make another set of roster moves Sunday when left-hander Francisco Liriano is activated from the disabled list.
• Hurdle said he does not yet know if left fielder Starling Marte will rejoin the team before the All-Star break. Marte was placed on the bereavement list Wednesday after the death of his mother-in-law. He is allowed by MLB rules to be out three to seven days. “Those aren't situations where you try to give him a window,” Hurdle said.
• Cole (sore right lat) did some light throwing on flat ground from about 45 feet. No timetable has been revealed for when Cole will come off the disabled list, but he likely will be out until at least late July.
— Rob Biertempfel
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Cardinals grab victory over pitcher Cole, Pirates with a late rally
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- RF Heisey, Reds avert sweep with a victory over Pirates at PNC Park
- Biertempfel: First base becoming new hot corner for Pirates
- Pirates minor league report: Bell concluding breakout season
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench