Friday's scouting report: Rockies at Pirates
• The Rockies' bullpen, like the Pirates', is having a roller-coaster season. LaTroy Hawkins, 41, has been successful on 17 of 18 save chances with a 2.45 ERA. He could be available at the trade deadline. Might the Pirates be interested? The lefty-righty combo of Red Brothers (4.38 ERA) and Adam Ottavino (3.95) hasn't been as productive as expected. However, both went into the All-Star break on the upswing. Ottavino had a 1.08 ERA over his past seven outings. Brothers had a 2.12 ERA and 14 strikeouts over his past 12 2⁄3 IP.
• The biggest problem with the Pirates' starting rotation is that no one has pitched like a No. 1 guy. Gerrit Cole has the best chance to do that, but he's on the disabled list and likely is out until August. So ... Francisco Liriano, anyone? After his last start Sunday vs. the Reds, Liriano claimed he's fully healthy. He also gave up three runs on three hits and six walks, and needed 94 pitches to get through four innings. His 52 percent ground-ball rate is the highest it's been since 2010. Good thing, since his 14.8 HR/fly ball rate is the worst of Liriano's career.
Andrew McCutchen ranks 11th on the list of most popular MLB jerseys, based on sales on mlb.com through the first half of the 2014 season. Derek Jeter is No. 1, followed by Buster Posey, Clayton Kershaw and David Ortiz. Over the winter, McCutchen's jersey ranked sixth in sales behind leader Ortiz.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates trade Snider to Orioles for minor league pitcher
- Starkey: What are Penguins, Pirates up to?
- Pirates shift times on 5 games, including rescheduling 2 fireworks nights
- For Pirates, NL Central test just got tougher
- Korean star Kang could be financial windfall for Pirates
- Pirates SS prospect Tucker making progress after thumb surgery