Saturday's scouting report: Rockies at Pirates
Pirates beat reporterRob Biertempfel 's inside look at Saturday's game:
• Brett Anderson is making just his second start since April 12, when he broke his left index finger hitting into a groundout. In his last outing, he tossed five innings and allowed six runs (five earned) on 10 hits and three walks in a 13-5 loss to the Twins. In his career, Anderson is 24-6 in the 36 starts when he received three or more runs of support and is 2-26 in 40 starts when he got two runs or fewer.
• Rockies backup C Michael McKenry is batting .303 after going 3 for 7 (plus a HBP) over his past three games. He missed three games in late June while on the bereavement list. McKenry has hit safely in 13 of 17 starts (.295, four doubles, one HR, 6 RBsI, 6 runs). He's batting .358 (19 for 53) vs. RHP and .083 (1 for 12) vs. LHP.
Many of the Double-A Altoona Curve's game giveaway items are more creative than the Pirates' freebies. Thursday, the first 1,000 fans at Peoples Natural Gas Field got Gregory Polanco “El Coffee” mugs, a reference to the rookie phenom's nickname and Twitter handle.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates bolster bullpen by trading for former closer Soria
- Pirates notebook: Blanton introduced; Worley designated for assignment
- Pirates acquire pitcher Blanton from Royals for cash
- Pirates notebook: Melancon bails out Watson with extended outing
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 30, 2015
- Kang’s 9th-inning home run gives Pirates wild victory over Twins
- Pirates notebook: Prospect Tucker unaware of ‘trade’ frenzy
- Gameday: Pirates at Twins, July 29, 2015
- Pirates’ Liriano unaffected by poor last outing against Twins
- McCutchen, Pirates cruise to interleague victory over Twins