Sunday's scouting report: Rockies at Pirates
• Tyler Matzek became the fifth Rockie to make his big league debut this year when he started June 11 vs. the Braves. Sunday will be his first career start against the Pirates, the seventh different team he has faced among his eight starts. Matzek has worked at least five innings in each of his first seven starts, the first Rockies rookie to do that. He's the first Colorado starter to have two walk-less games among his first four career starts. He's issued either one or no walks in four of his seven starts overall.
• Rockies OF Charlie Blackmon is one of five big leaguers with 10-plus homers and 15-plus stolen bases. Of that group, only Andrew McCutchen and Blackmon also have at least 50 RBIs. Blackmon is the fifth player in Rockies history to reach double-digits in homers and steals before the All-Star break. Blackmon and Carlos Gonzalez are the only two Colorado players to have a pair of five-hit games in the same season. Blackmon leads the majors with 14 homers and 49 RBIs out of the leadoff spot.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates notebook: Former 1st-round pick Tucker has shoulder surgery
- Pirates erupt for 6-run 2nd, maul Marlins behind Locke, McCutchen
- Gameday: Pirates at Marlins, Aug. 27, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Burnett’s simulated game goes well
- Lacking 2 of his pitches, Pirates’ Morton can’t find rhythm in loss to Marlins
- Gameday: Pirates at Marlins, Aug. 26, 2015
- Mercer, Harrison likely to return vs. Giants, creating left-side logjam
- Gameday: Pirates vs. San Francisco Giants, Aug. 21, 2015
- Starkey: Pirates will need Cole train rolling
- Marte’s glove, walk-off homer push Pirates past Giants
- Biertempfel: MLB right to consider ways of enhancing playoff system