Sunday's scouting report: Rockies at Pirates
• Tyler Matzek became the fifth Rockie to make his big league debut this year when he started June 11 vs. the Braves. Sunday will be his first career start against the Pirates, the seventh different team he has faced among his eight starts. Matzek has worked at least five innings in each of his first seven starts, the first Rockies rookie to do that. He's the first Colorado starter to have two walk-less games among his first four career starts. He's issued either one or no walks in four of his seven starts overall.
• Rockies OF Charlie Blackmon is one of five big leaguers with 10-plus homers and 15-plus stolen bases. Of that group, only Andrew McCutchen and Blackmon also have at least 50 RBIs. Blackmon is the fifth player in Rockies history to reach double-digits in homers and steals before the All-Star break. Blackmon and Carlos Gonzalez are the only two Colorado players to have a pair of five-hit games in the same season. Blackmon leads the majors with 14 homers and 49 RBIs out of the leadoff spot.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates’ search for division title rests on starting rotation’s health
- Pirates again approach Polanco about contract extension
- Pirates notebook: Reliever Holdzkom among three players cut
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 7, Tigers 3
- Reversing the field: Pirates continue to raid Yankees for hidden skill
- Steelers’ Tomlin, Pirates’ Hurdle share similar philosophy
- Pirates’ outfield may have few defensive peers
- Pirates notebook: Locke the choice to be 5th starter
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 18, Phillies 4
- Pirates notebook: Locke makes bid for final rotation spot, Tabata cut
- Alvarez latest in Pirates’ revolving door at first base