Sunday's scouting report: Rockies at Pirates
• Tyler Matzek became the fifth Rockie to make his big league debut this year when he started June 11 vs. the Braves. Sunday will be his first career start against the Pirates, the seventh different team he has faced among his eight starts. Matzek has worked at least five innings in each of his first seven starts, the first Rockies rookie to do that. He's the first Colorado starter to have two walk-less games among his first four career starts. He's issued either one or no walks in four of his seven starts overall.
• Rockies OF Charlie Blackmon is one of five big leaguers with 10-plus homers and 15-plus stolen bases. Of that group, only Andrew McCutchen and Blackmon also have at least 50 RBIs. Blackmon is the fifth player in Rockies history to reach double-digits in homers and steals before the All-Star break. Blackmon and Carlos Gonzalez are the only two Colorado players to have a pair of five-hit games in the same season. Blackmon leads the majors with 14 homers and 49 RBIs out of the leadoff spot.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates offseason breakdown: Happ among tough decisions
- With fates of key players uncertain, Pirates face important offseason
- Pirates say goodbye to veteran leaders Burnett, Ramirez
- Pirates notebook: Tempers boil after Arrieta beaned
- A field day on social media as Pirates’ Rodriguez attacks Gatorade cooler
- Burnett pitches well in farewell, but Pirates lose to Reds
- Cubs’ Arrieta, Pirates’ Cole leave batters with little margin for error