Monday's scouting report: Dodgers at Pirates
• The Pirates have limited experience with second-year left-hander Hyun-jin Ryu, who is among the Dodgers' collection of pitching riches. Andrew McCutchen has the Pirates' only homer against Ryu in 42 combined at-bats by the club. … Expect to see Josh Harrison at third base as Harrison has two hits against Ryu in four at-bats, and Pedro Alvarez continues to struggle with lefties. Pirates manager Clint Hurdle maintains there will not be a pure platoon at third base.
• Adrian Gonzalez (2 home runs) and Matt Kemp (.429) are two Dodgers who have had success against Edinson Volquez. … Volquez's control has improved this season, but it has also regressed some since he walked just 1.6 batters per nine innings in April. Volquez's walk rate has climbed to 3.00 this season and his ERA is now below his fielding-independent statistics, suggestive that he could be due for second-half regression.
The Pirates benched shortstop Alen Hanson for failing to hustle last week, the second time this season Hanson has been removed from the lineup for non-injury reasons.
Travis Sawchik is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com or via Twitter @Sawchik_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Pirates can’t waste McCutchen’s prime
- Pirates’ Martin calls crowd chant ‘pretty special’
- Giants’ Crawford makes history with slam
- Pirates notebook: Nutting says team may ‘stretch’ for Martin
- Bumgarner quiets Blackout crowd with 4-hit shutout
- Ex-Pirate Tekulve: PNC Park reception ‘unbelievable’
- Giants, Bumgarner shut out Pirates in wild-card game
- Harrison’s ‘magic’ has helped to carry Pirates into MLB’s postseason
- Rossi: Pirates plan to carry Hurdle deep into playoffs
- Inside the decision: Pirates chose their own adventure
- Pirates notebook: Martin feels ‘pretty good,’ will start vs. Giants