Monday's scouting report: Dodgers at Pirates
• The Pirates have limited experience with second-year left-hander Hyun-jin Ryu, who is among the Dodgers' collection of pitching riches. Andrew McCutchen has the Pirates' only homer against Ryu in 42 combined at-bats by the club. … Expect to see Josh Harrison at third base as Harrison has two hits against Ryu in four at-bats, and Pedro Alvarez continues to struggle with lefties. Pirates manager Clint Hurdle maintains there will not be a pure platoon at third base.
• Adrian Gonzalez (2 home runs) and Matt Kemp (.429) are two Dodgers who have had success against Edinson Volquez. … Volquez's control has improved this season, but it has also regressed some since he walked just 1.6 batters per nine innings in April. Volquez's walk rate has climbed to 3.00 this season and his ERA is now below his fielding-independent statistics, suggestive that he could be due for second-half regression.
The Pirates benched shortstop Alen Hanson for failing to hustle last week, the second time this season Hanson has been removed from the lineup for non-injury reasons.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates can’t overcome long rain delay, Indians in interleague setback
- Pirates notebook: Taillon headed for surgery, Richard traded
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Indians, July 4, 2015
- Shaken by economic, political turmoil, MLB forsaking Venezuela
- Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Tigers
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Indians, July 3, 2015
- Pirates minor league report: Kramer comes with power potential with short-season Black Bears
- Biertempfel: Pirates’ Burnett makes pitch for All-Star Game in final season
- 2B Walker, Pirates smash through Tigers pitching in road victory
- Pirates notebook: Cole cool about hostile comment
- Gameday: Pirates at Tigers, July 2, 2015