Monday's scouting report: Dodgers at Pirates
• The Pirates have limited experience with second-year left-hander Hyun-jin Ryu, who is among the Dodgers' collection of pitching riches. Andrew McCutchen has the Pirates' only homer against Ryu in 42 combined at-bats by the club. … Expect to see Josh Harrison at third base as Harrison has two hits against Ryu in four at-bats, and Pedro Alvarez continues to struggle with lefties. Pirates manager Clint Hurdle maintains there will not be a pure platoon at third base.
• Adrian Gonzalez (2 home runs) and Matt Kemp (.429) are two Dodgers who have had success against Edinson Volquez. … Volquez's control has improved this season, but it has also regressed some since he walked just 1.6 batters per nine innings in April. Volquez's walk rate has climbed to 3.00 this season and his ERA is now below his fielding-independent statistics, suggestive that he could be due for second-half regression.
The Pirates benched shortstop Alen Hanson for failing to hustle last week, the second time this season Hanson has been removed from the lineup for non-injury reasons.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Locke makes bid for final rotation spot, Tabata cut
- MLB commissioner: Pirates’ success starts in the front office
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 4, Twins 2
- About face: Pirates’ Burnett now digging the shifts
- Spring training breakdown: Orioles 9, Pirates 2
- Pirates’ Harrison working to use 2014 success as building block
- Alvarez hopes tweak in mechanics unlocks plate potential
- Pirates notebook: Morton’s struggles continue during rough outing versus Astros
- Hair Cutch: Pirates superstar lops off his locks for charity
- Forbes: Pirates worth $900 million
- Pirates notebook: Worley bounces back after rough start