Pirates notebook: Liriano looking forward to fresh start
Pirates left-hander Francisco Liriano will open the second half starting against the Colorado Rockies on Friday, and he hopes the later months of the season go better than the earlier ones did.
“Tomorrow's a start-over for me to just go out, try to go as deep as I can again, and hopefully, everything goes the way I want it to and I can keep the team in the ballgame,” Liriano said. “Just try and go out, get a fresh start and try not to do too much.”
Liriano returned to the rotation Sunday for the Pirates' final game before the All-Star break after missing a month with a strained oblique. He made it only four innings, walked six and gave up three runs and fell to 1-7 on the season in 15 starts. He was 9-3 (12 starts) in the first half of 2013.
“I just have to put it behind me and move forward,” he said.
Liriano said he was able to stay in his routine during the break and felt good after his first start since June 10.
“Everything's fine,” he said. “I'm ready to go.”
Barmes easing back into motion
Shortstop Clint Barmes is up and walking around without pain. On Thursday, he hoped to get the go-ahead to start increasing his workload. Barmes, who went on the disabled list with a groin injury in early July (retroactive to June 30) also has been riding the bike pain-free. Still, he hasn't tested the injury with any lateral movement.
“They'll test me on range of motion, stretch it out a little bit and go from there,” said Barmes, who is expected to miss four to six weeks.
Bits and pieces
Gerrit Cole was on his way out to throw a side session prior to the rest of the team taking the field for a 6 p.m. workout Thursday. … Starling Marte was reinstated from the bereavement list, and outfielder Jaff Decker was optioned to Triple-A Indianapolis. … Andrew Lambo was reinstated from the disabled list in Indianapolis (thumb surgery) and was in the lineup as the designated hitter.
Karen Price is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @KarenPrice_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Cardinals grab victory over pitcher Cole, Pirates with a late rally
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- RF Heisey, Reds avert sweep with a victory over Pirates at PNC Park
- Pirates minor league report: Bell concluding breakout season
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Biertempfel: First base becoming new hot corner for Pirates
- Statistically speaking: Can Pirates contain Hamilton on bases