Tuesday's scouting report: Dodgers at Pirates
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Tuesday's game:
• Josh Beckett is expected to come off the DL to start Tuesday's game. With a torn labrum and two cysts, he will have to pitch through some pain and perhaps get another cortisone shot to make it through the rest of the season. The 34-year-old right-hander is among NL leaders with a 2.26 ERA.
• In his first 12 career games versus the Pirates, Dodgers 2B Dee Gordon batted .314 (16 for 51) and was successful on 9 of 10 steal attempts. Gordon went into this series leading the majors with 44 stolen bases and ranked third with 13 three-hit games. He is the sixth player since 1914 to notch at least 269 hits and 110 steals in his first 275 games. The others were Rickey Henderson, Tim Raines, Vince Coleman, Gerald Young and Kenny Lofton.
Over the past few days, the phone in Clint Hurdle's office at PNC Park has been buzzed by wrong-number callers. “One guy asked me if this was the Humane Society,” Hurdle said. “I said, ‘Not that I'm aware of, but I do have a dog.' ”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Former Pirates pitcher Happ agrees to $36 million, 3-year deal with Blue Jays
- Pirates sign free agent 1B-OF Goebbert, RHP Webster
- Pirates protect top prospects in advance of Rule 5 draft
- Pirates, Orioles had trade talks involving 2B Walker
- Rossi: Baseball should retire Roberto Clemente’s No. 21
- Pirates sign independent league pitcher