Tuesday's scouting report: Dodgers at Pirates
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Tuesday's game:
• Josh Beckett is expected to come off the DL to start Tuesday's game. With a torn labrum and two cysts, he will have to pitch through some pain and perhaps get another cortisone shot to make it through the rest of the season. The 34-year-old right-hander is among NL leaders with a 2.26 ERA.
• In his first 12 career games versus the Pirates, Dodgers 2B Dee Gordon batted .314 (16 for 51) and was successful on 9 of 10 steal attempts. Gordon went into this series leading the majors with 44 stolen bases and ranked third with 13 three-hit games. He is the sixth player since 1914 to notch at least 269 hits and 110 steals in his first 275 games. The others were Rickey Henderson, Tim Raines, Vince Coleman, Gerald Young and Kenny Lofton.
Over the past few days, the phone in Clint Hurdle's office at PNC Park has been buzzed by wrong-number callers. “One guy asked me if this was the Humane Society,” Hurdle said. “I said, ‘Not that I'm aware of, but I do have a dog.' ”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 20 improbable Pirates wins in 2014
- Mercer’s improved defense at shortstop gives Pirates a boost
- It’s official: Volquez to start Wednesday for Pirates
- Inside the decision: Pirates chose their own adventure
- Rossi: No matter outcome, Pirates arrive
- Tekulve to throw out 1st pitch of Pirates’ postseason
- Do Pirates have what it takes to end World Series drought?
- Friday’s scouting report: Pirates at Reds
- Pirates notebook: Reds deny intent after Cueto plunks McCutchen
- Pirates notebook: Playoff tiebreakers create havoc for Bucs
- Stats speak: Pirates’ patience key vs. Cincy’s Simon, Cueto