Wednesday's scouting report: Dodgers at Pirates
• In his last three starts — all losses — Dan Haren has an ERA of 11.57 and the recent slide has left his spot in the Dodgers' rotation in jeopardy as the trade deadline draws near. Reports following his last outing, which ended after 42⁄3 innings, questioned the Dodgers' faith in Haren looking ahead to the playoffs, despite an 8-4 record heading into July. Overall, he is now 8-7 with a 4.30 ERA.
• Francisco Liriano's only win so far in 2014 came against the Dodgers on May 30 when he pitched 52⁄3 scoreless innings and allowed five hits. The left-hander, hoping for a rebound in the second half, gave up one run on three hits in five innings Friday but is still looking for his first win of the season at PNC Park (0-3, nine starts). His last home regular-season win was Aug. 30, 2013, vs. St. Louis.
The MLB Players Alumni Association selected utilityman Josh Harrison as the Pirates' 2014 Heart and Hustle Award winner. The annual award honors active players who “demonstrate a passion for the game and best embody the values, spirit and tradition of the game.” One player is chosen to represent each of the 30 MLB teams. At the end of the season, one overall winner is selected from that group. The final winner will be announced Nov. 18.Karen Price is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach her at email@example.com or via Twitter @KarenPrice_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Volquez open to re-signing with team
- Liriano, McCutchen help Pirates to 1-0 win over Braves
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Braves
- Rossi: The series that will define these Pirates
- Martin’s homer rescues Pirates in 4-2 victory over Brewers
- New approach on offense has Pirates in playoff contention this season
- Thursday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates
- Morton, Pirates blank Red Sox in series opener
- Stats speak: Sliders stand between Pirates, playoffs