Friday's scouting report: Pirates at Rockies
• This will be Charlie Morton's 21st start of the season. It's just the second time in his seven-year career that Morton has exceeded 20 starts. Morton started a career-high 29 games in 2011. Over his past eight appearances, Morton went 3-2 with a 3.23 ERA. He is 2-0 with a 1.73 ERA in four starts vs. NL West clubs this year, but is 0-2 with a 4.50 ERA in his past four starts on the road.
• Brett Anderson will face the Pirates for his second start in a row after not going against them in any of his previous 83 games. On Saturday at PNC Park, Anderson gave up one run on four hits in seven innings, amassed eight strikeouts and got a no-decision. It was the 11th career start in which he went at least seven innings and allowed fewer than two runs.
Since the All-Star break, Neil Walker is batting .455 (10 for 22), including two home runs. He said being left off the All-Star roster is not the motivation for his recent surge. “It would've been awesome to make the All-Star team,” Walker said. “But my focus is on helping (the Pirates) win.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates pound Padres for 7th consecutive victory
- Pirates’ Morton hopes he’s past injury-riddled part of career
- Pirates pitching prospect Kingham undergoes Tommy John surgery
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Padres, May 29, 2015
- Pirates use big 7th inning to sweep Marlins, stretch winning streak
- Starkey: Kang story of the year for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Alvarez having success looking the other way
- Gameday: Pirates at Padres, May 28, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Morton’s return to Pirates means Liz leaves
- Pirates notebook: Struggling Polanco held out of starting lineup
- Pirates notebook: Substance rule a sticky subject