Saturday's scouting report: Pirates at Rockies
• The sooner the Pirates can get into the Rockies' bullpen, the better. Colorado's reliever have struggled for much of the season. They lead baseball with 17 blown saves and are converting just 50 percent of save opportunities. Last weekend in Pittsburgh versus the Rockies, the Pirates mounted three straight come-from-behind wins after the sixth inning.
• The Rockies are wise to load up on left-handed pitching because the ball travels especially well to right-center field at Coors Field, where the power alley is only 375 feet. Even though the Pirates will face left-handed starters Saturday and Sunday, Hurdle might have to look past Pedro Alvarez's numbers versus lefties and hope his power will return in one of the game's best offensive environments.
CBSSports.com insider Jon Heyman reports the Pirates' interest in acquiring A.J. Burnett from the Phillies is “mild at best.” Heyman reports the Pirates want no part of Burnett's 2015 player option, which could reportedly rise to $12.8 million when Burnett is 38 years old.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 3, 2015
- Cole struggles as Brewers continue Miller mastery over Pirates
- Two wild-card format hurting Pirates in short term
- No bitter brew for Mercer over reduced playing time after injury
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 2, 2015
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 1, 2015
- Pirates notebook: 6 September call-ups include first-timer Diaz
- No certainty for Pirates’ call-up veterans
- Pirates notebook: Former 1st-round pick Tucker has shoulder surgery
- Biertempfel: Pittsburgh native faced quick learning curve as Marlins GM