Sunday's scouting report: Pirates at Rockies
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik's inside look at Sunday's game:
• Edinson Volquez and Coors Field don't mix well ... unless you're the Rockies. Volquez is 1-5 with a 8.45 ERA and 2.06 WHIP for his career at the Denver ballpark. Volquez has tried to rely more on his two-seamer this season, though his groundball rate hovers around his career average. Most troubling entering his Sunday start is his walk rate has been increasing since April. Extra base runners are a big problem in mile-high air.
• Sundays are often rest days for Pirates catcher Russell Martin. Pirates manager Clint Hurdle might want to reconsider as Martin is 3 for 8 in his career against Rockies starter Franklin Morales, with a home run. The Pirates have only 17 combined at-bats against Morales. ... The Pirates lead the NL in on-base percentage and would be well-served to be patient against Morales who walks 3.9 batters per nine innings.
FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reported the Pirates had “two-high level” scouts in attendance to watch David Price and Jon Lester on Friday. The cost to acquire either would be considerable.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates trade Davis to A’s for international signing bonus money
- Pirates enter Plan B with Martin off market
- Pirates ready to protect top pitching prospects from Rule 5 draft
- Pirates notebook: Team offered catcher Martin 4-year contract
- Rossi: Pirates don’t need Alvarez at first base
- Scouts: Acquiring Cervelli from Yankees cost Pirates promising reliever
- Pirates cut ties with Davis, clearing path for Alvarez to play first base