Sunday's scouting report: Pirates at Rockies
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik's inside look at Sunday's game:
• Edinson Volquez and Coors Field don't mix well ... unless you're the Rockies. Volquez is 1-5 with a 8.45 ERA and 2.06 WHIP for his career at the Denver ballpark. Volquez has tried to rely more on his two-seamer this season, though his groundball rate hovers around his career average. Most troubling entering his Sunday start is his walk rate has been increasing since April. Extra base runners are a big problem in mile-high air.
• Sundays are often rest days for Pirates catcher Russell Martin. Pirates manager Clint Hurdle might want to reconsider as Martin is 3 for 8 in his career against Rockies starter Franklin Morales, with a home run. The Pirates have only 17 combined at-bats against Morales. ... The Pirates lead the NL in on-base percentage and would be well-served to be patient against Morales who walks 3.9 batters per nine innings.
FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reported the Pirates had “two-high level” scouts in attendance to watch David Price and Jon Lester on Friday. The cost to acquire either would be considerable.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates shift times on 5 games, including rescheduling 2 fireworks nights
- Pirates SS prospect Tucker making progress after thumb surgery
- For Pirates, NL Central test just got tougher
- Pirates officially sign Korean shortstop Kang
- Pirates sign 9 to yearlong deals; 3 going to arbitration
- Pirates notebook: For Holdzkom, a whole new world
- Korean star Kang could be financial windfall for Pirates