Sunday's scouting report: Pirates at Rockies
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik'sinside look at Sunday's game:
• Edinson Volquez and Coors Field don't mix well ... unless you're the Rockies. Volquez is 1-5 with a 8.45 ERA and 2.06 WHIP for his career at the Denver ballpark. Volquez has tried to rely more on his two-seamer this season, though his groundball rate hovers around his career average. Most troubling entering his Sunday start is his walk rate has been increasing since April. Extra base runners are a big problem in mile-high air.
• Sundays are often rest days for Pirates catcher Russell Martin. Pirates manager Clint Hurdle might want to reconsider as Martin is 3 for 8 in his career against Rockies starter Franklin Morales, with a home run. The Pirates have only 17 combined at-bats against Morales. ... The Pirates lead the NL in on-base percentage and would be well-served to be patient against Morales who walks 3.9 batters per nine innings.
FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reported the Pirates had “two-high level” scouts in attendance to watch David Price and Jon Lester on Friday. The cost to acquire either would be considerable.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Patience serves as virtue amid prospect Glasnow’s quest for majors
- Pirates notebook: Burnett encouraged by extended simulated game
- Biertempfel: Pittsburgh native faced quick learning curve as Marlins GM
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle’s faith in Polanco pays off
- Strong-armed outfielder Garcia growing into all-around threat
- Starting 9: Pirates place renewed emphasis on nabbing base-stealers
- Happ’s strong start, Ramirez’s homer pace Pirates past Rockies
- Pirates show depth in earning victory over Rockies; Polanco has big night
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 30, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Catcher Cervelli among ejection leaders
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 29, 2015