Sunday's scouting report: Pirates at Rockies
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik'sinside look at Sunday's game:
• Edinson Volquez and Coors Field don't mix well ... unless you're the Rockies. Volquez is 1-5 with a 8.45 ERA and 2.06 WHIP for his career at the Denver ballpark. Volquez has tried to rely more on his two-seamer this season, though his groundball rate hovers around his career average. Most troubling entering his Sunday start is his walk rate has been increasing since April. Extra base runners are a big problem in mile-high air.
• Sundays are often rest days for Pirates catcher Russell Martin. Pirates manager Clint Hurdle might want to reconsider as Martin is 3 for 8 in his career against Rockies starter Franklin Morales, with a home run. The Pirates have only 17 combined at-bats against Morales. ... The Pirates lead the NL in on-base percentage and would be well-served to be patient against Morales who walks 3.9 batters per nine innings.
FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reported the Pirates had “two-high level” scouts in attendance to watch David Price and Jon Lester on Friday. The cost to acquire either would be considerable.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- How the Pirates put together another postseason contender
- Cubs’ Arrieta, Pirates’ Cole leave batters with little margin for error
- NL wild-card game notebook: Pirates understand hype surrounding Cubs
- Rossi: Time for Pirates to take next step
- NL wild-game game players to watch
- Cubs’ youth movement pays dividends, leads to postseason berth
- Pirates will play NL wild-card game at PNC Park after shutting out Reds
- Maddon, Hurdle are the models for modern major-league managers
- Pirates notebook: Huntington weighs whether wild-card round should be expanded
- Starkey: Searage, Pirates ultra-confident
- Are Pirates better positioned to win it all this postseason?