Monday's scouting report: Pirates at Giants
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik's inside look at Monday's game:
• After posting a 1.74 ERA in June, Vance Worley has been less Vanimal-like in July, with a 4.50 ERA. Worley needs a strong start; the rehabbing Gerrit Cole is starting Monday in Triple-A, meaning Cole could easily slide into Worley's rotation spot. Worley will benefit from the left-handed Brandon Belt being out with a concussion. Worley has walked one batter in 20 1⁄3 road innings this season.
• The Pirates will miss Starling Marte (concussion) against the lefty Madison Bumgarner, who has held the Pirates to a collective .661 on-base percentage. Bumgarner will be the fourth straight lefty to face the Pirates. The Pirates have struggled in recent games against left-handed pitching in part because of Marte's absence but also because of the struggles of Pedro Alvarez, Gaby Sanchez and Gregory Polanco against lefties.
The Pirates continue to monitor Red Sox lefty reliever Andrew Miller, according to ESPN. The Tribune-Review earlier reported the Pirates' interest in Miller. Red Sox closer Koji Uehara is thought to be off limits.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Worley bounces back after rough start
- About face: Pirates’ Burnett now digging the shifts
- Spring training breakdown: Braves 7, Pirates 5
- Hair Cutch: Pirates superstar lops off his locks for charity
- Pirates’ Harrison working to use 2014 success as building block
- Outfielder Marte figures to be ‘run producer’ for Pirates this season
- Baseball awaits chance to fully delve into Cuba’s talent pool
- Pirates notebook: RV is home to pitcher Lincoln for spring training
- McCutchen says injury won’t prevent him from playing Opening Day
- Pirates notebook: Catcher Sanchez to break camp with Pirates
- Forbes: Pirates worth $900 million