Monday's scouting report: Pirates at Giants
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik's inside look at Monday's game:
• After posting a 1.74 ERA in June, Vance Worley has been less Vanimal-like in July, with a 4.50 ERA. Worley needs a strong start; the rehabbing Gerrit Cole is starting Monday in Triple-A, meaning Cole could easily slide into Worley's rotation spot. Worley will benefit from the left-handed Brandon Belt being out with a concussion. Worley has walked one batter in 201⁄3 road innings this season.
• The Pirates will miss Starling Marte (concussion) against the lefty Madison Bumgarner, who has held the Pirates to a collective .661 on-base percentage. Bumgarner will be the fourth straight lefty to face the Pirates. The Pirates have struggled in recent games against left-handed pitching in part because of Marte's absence but also because of the struggles of Pedro Alvarez, Gaby Sanchez and Gregory Polanco against lefties.
The Pirates continue to monitor Red Sox lefty reliever Andrew Miller, according to ESPN. The Tribune-Review earlier reported the Pirates' interest in Miller. Red Sox closer Koji Uehara is thought to be off limits.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates cut ties with Davis, clearing path for Alvarez to play first base
- Pirates notebook: Team offered catcher Martin 4-year contract
- Pirates ready to protect top pitching prospects from Rule 5 draft
- Martin agrees to 5-year, $82 million deal with Blue Jays
- Scouts: Acquiring Cervelli from Yankees cost Pirates promising reliever
- Pirates agree to terms with pitcher Burnett
- Pirates likely to seek pitcher, catcher when free agency starts
- Plenty of affordable options are awaiting Pirates in free agency
- McCutchen talks about his legacy, the Pirates’ major needs