Monday's scouting report: Pirates at Giants
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik's inside look at Monday's game:
• After posting a 1.74 ERA in June, Vance Worley has been less Vanimal-like in July, with a 4.50 ERA. Worley needs a strong start; the rehabbing Gerrit Cole is starting Monday in Triple-A, meaning Cole could easily slide into Worley's rotation spot. Worley will benefit from the left-handed Brandon Belt being out with a concussion. Worley has walked one batter in 20 1⁄3 road innings this season.
• The Pirates will miss Starling Marte (concussion) against the lefty Madison Bumgarner, who has held the Pirates to a collective .661 on-base percentage. Bumgarner will be the fourth straight lefty to face the Pirates. The Pirates have struggled in recent games against left-handed pitching in part because of Marte's absence but also because of the struggles of Pedro Alvarez, Gaby Sanchez and Gregory Polanco against lefties.
The Pirates continue to monitor Red Sox lefty reliever Andrew Miller, according to ESPN. The Tribune-Review earlier reported the Pirates' interest in Miller. Red Sox closer Koji Uehara is thought to be off limits.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Struggling Pirates SS Mercer finding himself out on infield’s left side
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Mets, May 22, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Marte gets earful from Hurdle about lazy play
- Rossi: Hurdle needs better players, not blame
- Pirates’ prospect Taillon returns to mound following surgery
- Pirates notebook: Morton nears return after strong rehab outing
- Alvarez’s homer into river not enough for Pirates in loss to Twins
- Cole shuts down Diamondbacks as Pirates open road trip with victory
- Pirates minor league report: Moroff showing his moves at plate
- Burnett’s strong start helps Pirates end 4-game skid
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Twins, May 20, 2015