Monday's scouting report: Pirates at Giants
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik's inside look at Monday's game:
• After posting a 1.74 ERA in June, Vance Worley has been less Vanimal-like in July, with a 4.50 ERA. Worley needs a strong start; the rehabbing Gerrit Cole is starting Monday in Triple-A, meaning Cole could easily slide into Worley's rotation spot. Worley will benefit from the left-handed Brandon Belt being out with a concussion. Worley has walked one batter in 20 1⁄3 road innings this season.
• The Pirates will miss Starling Marte (concussion) against the lefty Madison Bumgarner, who has held the Pirates to a collective .661 on-base percentage. Bumgarner will be the fourth straight lefty to face the Pirates. The Pirates have struggled in recent games against left-handed pitching in part because of Marte's absence but also because of the struggles of Pedro Alvarez, Gaby Sanchez and Gregory Polanco against lefties.
The Pirates continue to monitor Red Sox lefty reliever Andrew Miller, according to ESPN. The Tribune-Review earlier reported the Pirates' interest in Miller. Red Sox closer Koji Uehara is thought to be off limits.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates’ Burnett endures another poor start in blowout loss to Reds
- Pirates bolster bullpen by trading for former closer Soria
- Pirates notebook: Blanton introduced; Worley designated for assignment
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 31, 2015
- Pirates acquire pitcher Blanton from Royals for cash
- Pirates notebook: Melancon bails out Watson with extended outing
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 30, 2015
- Kang’s 9th-inning home run gives Pirates wild victory over Twins
- Cole collects MLB-best 14th win as Pirates take series against Nationals
- McCutchen, Pirates cruise to interleague victory over Twins
- Pirates notebook: Prospect Tucker unaware of ‘trade’ frenzy