Xxxday's scouting report: Pirates at Giants
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Wednesday's game:
• Charlie Morton will make his 22nd start of the season. He is 3-3 with a 3.51 ERA in his past nine starts. In his past five road starts, Morton is 0-3. He is 3-4 with a 2.51 ERA in 10 career starts against the Giants.
• Two-time Cy Young Award winner Tim Lincecum will make his 22nd start of the year. In eight career starts vs. the Pirates, Lincecum is 2-4 with a 4.86 ERA. However, he has done well against them at AT&T Park, going 2-1 with a 3.98 ERA.
Any interest the Pirates might have had in trading for RHP A.J. Burnett appears to have been doused. Burnett won't give any assurances he'll retire after this season (sound familiar?), so any team that acquires him could be on the hook for his 2015 contract option, which will be worth up to $14.25 million.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates’ Burnett endures another poor start in blowout loss to Reds
- Pirates bolster bullpen by trading for former closer Soria
- Pirates notebook: Blanton introduced; Worley designated for assignment
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 31, 2015
- Pirates acquire pitcher Blanton from Royals for cash
- Pirates notebook: Melancon bails out Watson with extended outing
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 30, 2015
- McCutchen, Pirates cruise to interleague victory over Twins
- Making splash at MLB trade deadline not always in buyers’ best interest
- Pirates notebook: Prospect Tucker unaware of ‘trade’ frenzy
- Cole collects MLB-best 14th win as Pirates take series against Nationals