Xxxday's scouting report: Pirates at Giants
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Wednesday's game:
• Charlie Morton will make his 22nd start of the season. He is 3-3 with a 3.51 ERA in his past nine starts. In his past five road starts, Morton is 0-3. He is 3-4 with a 2.51 ERA in 10 career starts against the Giants.
• Two-time Cy Young Award winner Tim Lincecum will make his 22nd start of the year. In eight career starts vs. the Pirates, Lincecum is 2-4 with a 4.86 ERA. However, he has done well against them at AT&T Park, going 2-1 with a 3.98 ERA.
Any interest the Pirates might have had in trading for RHP A.J. Burnett appears to have been doused. Burnett won't give any assurances he'll retire after this season (sound familiar?), so any team that acquires him could be on the hook for his 2015 contract option, which will be worth up to $14.25 million.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Former Pirates pitcher Happ agrees to $36 million, 3-year deal with Blue Jays
- Pirates sign free agent 1B-OF Goebbert, RHP Webster
- Pirates sign independent league pitcher
- Pirates season opener moved to April 3
- Pirates protect top prospects in advance of Rule 5 draft
- Pirates, Orioles had trade talks involving 2B Walker
- Rossi: Baseball should retire Roberto Clemente’s No. 21