Xxxday's scouting report: Pirates at Giants
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Wednesday's game:
• Charlie Morton will make his 22nd start of the season. He is 3-3 with a 3.51 ERA in his past nine starts. In his past five road starts, Morton is 0-3. He is 3-4 with a 2.51 ERA in 10 career starts against the Giants.
• Two-time Cy Young Award winner Tim Lincecum will make his 22nd start of the year. In eight career starts vs. the Pirates, Lincecum is 2-4 with a 4.86 ERA. However, he has done well against them at AT&T Park, going 2-1 with a 3.98 ERA.
Any interest the Pirates might have had in trading for RHP A.J. Burnett appears to have been doused. Burnett won't give any assurances he'll retire after this season (sound familiar?), so any team that acquires him could be on the hook for his 2015 contract option, which will be worth up to $14.25 million.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Struggling Pirates SS Mercer finding himself out on infield’s left side
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Mets, May 22, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Marte gets earful from Hurdle about lazy play
- Mauer’s 13th-inning homer spells doom for Pirates in home loss
- Rossi: Hurdle needs better players, not blame
- Rossi: Not too early to go with Kang
- Streaking Cubs defeat punchless Pirates, 4-1
- Starting 9: Should Pirates maximize McCutchen window by trading for a star?
- Pace-of-play rules are catching on with Pirates this season
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Twins, May 19, 2015
- Alvarez’s homer into river not enough for Pirates in loss to Twins