Xxxday's scouting report: Pirates at Giants
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Wednesday's game:
• Charlie Morton will make his 22nd start of the season. He is 3-3 with a 3.51 ERA in his past nine starts. In his past five road starts, Morton is 0-3. He is 3-4 with a 2.51 ERA in 10 career starts against the Giants.
• Two-time Cy Young Award winner Tim Lincecum will make his 22nd start of the year. In eight career starts vs. the Pirates, Lincecum is 2-4 with a 4.86 ERA. However, he has done well against them at AT&T Park, going 2-1 with a 3.98 ERA.
Any interest the Pirates might have had in trading for RHP A.J. Burnett appears to have been doused. Burnett won't give any assurances he'll retire after this season (sound familiar?), so any team that acquires him could be on the hook for his 2015 contract option, which will be worth up to $14.25 million.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Lincoln tries to rejuvenate career in second stint with Pirates
- Rossi: Pirates better with Maz on scene
- Pirates willing to consider high salary to keep star McCutchen
- Pirates notebook: Mercer gains celebrity in Kang’s home country
- Pirates notebook: Team has big plans for newcomer Kang
- Pirates looking at ways to make McCutchen’s off days more productive
- Pirates notebook: Nutting expects club to win division title
- The Starting Nine: Silver linings for Alvarez
- Pirates notebook: Reliever Bastardo excited about new start
- Pirates ready to prove they have best outfield in baseball
- Team interaction important to Pirates veteran pitcher Burnett