Friday's scouting report: Pirates at Diamondbacks
• Since making his big league debut June 1, Diamondbacks RF David Peralta has 20 multihit games. He has hit safely in 33 of the first 47 games of his career. Peralta's 55 hits through 47 games are the second-most to start a career in Arizona history behind Stephen Drew, who had 56 hits in 2006. Peralta was signed by the Diamondbacks on July 3, 2013, after spending his first three pro seasons as a pitcher in the Cardinals' system.
• Vidal Nuno will make his fifth start since being acquired from the Yankees on July 6 for RHP Brandon McCarthy and cash considerations. This will be his second start this season vs. the Pirates, one in each league. In the second game of a doubleheader May 18 at Yankee Stadium, Nuno got a no-decision after allowing three runs (two earned) in six innings.
Since making his Triple-A debut with Indianapolis on June 13, RHP Nick Kingham ranks second in the International League in batting average against (.205), third in innings pitched (56.1) and WHIP (0.98), and sixth in strikeouts (42).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Struggling Pirates SS Mercer finding himself out on infield’s left side
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Mets, May 22, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Marte gets earful from Hurdle about lazy play
- Rossi: Hurdle needs better players, not blame
- Starting 9: Should Pirates maximize McCutchen window by trading for a star?
- Pirates notebook: Another Korean Baseball Organization star on Pirates’ radar
- Mauer’s 13th-inning homer spells doom for Pirates in home loss
- Improved Tabata rejoins Pirates roster
- Bradenton outfielder Barnes burdened by his body
- Pirates notebook: Morton confident in his mechanics after successful rehab start at Altoona
- Pirates minor league report: Moroff showing his moves at plate