Friday's scouting report: Pirates at Diamondbacks
• Since making his big league debut June 1, Diamondbacks RF David Peralta has 20 multihit games. He has hit safely in 33 of the first 47 games of his career. Peralta's 55 hits through 47 games are the second-most to start a career in Arizona history behind Stephen Drew, who had 56 hits in 2006. Peralta was signed by the Diamondbacks on July 3, 2013, after spending his first three pro seasons as a pitcher in the Cardinals' system.
• Vidal Nuno will make his fifth start since being acquired from the Yankees on July 6 for RHP Brandon McCarthy and cash considerations. This will be his second start this season vs. the Pirates, one in each league. In the second game of a doubleheader May 18 at Yankee Stadium, Nuno got a no-decision after allowing three runs (two earned) in six innings.
Since making his Triple-A debut with Indianapolis on June 13, RHP Nick Kingham ranks second in the International League in batting average against (.205), third in innings pitched (56.1) and WHIP (0.98), and sixth in strikeouts (42).
Rob Biertempfel is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com or via Twitter @BiertempfelTrib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates must weigh risk, reward in attempt to sign Martin
- Pirates acquire infielder from Indians, designate Axford, Gomez for assignment
- Pirates to end spring in Philadelphia again, sign Stinson to minor league deal
- Pirates GM Huntington believes his coaching staff will return intact