Friday's scouting report: Pirates at Diamondbacks
• Since making his big league debut June 1, Diamondbacks RF David Peralta has 20 multihit games. He has hit safely in 33 of the first 47 games of his career. Peralta's 55 hits through 47 games are the second-most to start a career in Arizona history behind Stephen Drew, who had 56 hits in 2006. Peralta was signed by the Diamondbacks on July 3, 2013, after spending his first three pro seasons as a pitcher in the Cardinals' system.
• Vidal Nuno will make his fifth start since being acquired from the Yankees on July 6 for RHP Brandon McCarthy and cash considerations. This will be his second start this season vs. the Pirates, one in each league. In the second game of a doubleheader May 18 at Yankee Stadium, Nuno got a no-decision after allowing three runs (two earned) in six innings.
Since making his Triple-A debut with Indianapolis on June 13, RHP Nick Kingham ranks second in the International League in batting average against (.205), third in innings pitched (56.1) and WHIP (0.98), and sixth in strikeouts (42).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Cole is simply not good enough for Pirates
- Pirates no match for Cubs, Arrieta in wild-card loss
- Pirates notebook: Tempers boil after Arrieta beaned
- Managers opt for different strategies in wild-card contest
- Cubs’ Fowler, Schwarber deliver to sink Pirates
- How the Pirates put together another postseason contender
- Cubs’ Arrieta, Pirates’ Cole leave batters with little margin for error
- NL wild-card game notebook: Pirates understand hype surrounding Cubs
- Rossi: Time for Pirates to take next step
- NL wild-game game players to watch
- Despite hometown ties, Walker knows time with Pirates likely nearing end