Friday's scouting report: Pirates at Diamondbacks
• Since making his big league debut June 1, Diamondbacks RF David Peralta has 20 multihit games. He has hit safely in 33 of the first 47 games of his career. Peralta's 55 hits through 47 games are the second-most to start a career in Arizona history behind Stephen Drew, who had 56 hits in 2006. Peralta was signed by the Diamondbacks on July 3, 2013, after spending his first three pro seasons as a pitcher in the Cardinals' system.
• Vidal Nuno will make his fifth start since being acquired from the Yankees on July 6 for RHP Brandon McCarthy and cash considerations. This will be his second start this season vs. the Pirates, one in each league. In the second game of a doubleheader May 18 at Yankee Stadium, Nuno got a no-decision after allowing three runs (two earned) in six innings.
Since making his Triple-A debut with Indianapolis on June 13, RHP Nick Kingham ranks second in the International League in batting average against (.205), third in innings pitched (56.1) and WHIP (0.98), and sixth in strikeouts (42).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates notebook: New acquisition Happ more than happy to fill spot in rotation
- Reds solve Cole, stave off Pirates’ 9th-inning rally
- Starting 9: Examining Pirates’ deadline decisions
- Biertempfel: Players, MLB agree logic of season’s setup needs to be examined
- Pirates farmhand Suchy learns limits of his size, strength
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, Aug. 2, 2015
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Pirates place Burnett on 15-day disabled list
- Hurdle: Soria likely to assume setup role with Watson
- Gameday: Pirates at Cincinnati, Aug. 1, 2015