Tuesday's scouting report: Pirates vs. Marlins
• Marlins OF Reed Johnson leads the majors with 13 pinch hits. Johnson's nine RBIs off the bench are tied for second in the big leagues with Chris Heisey. Johnson is batting .289 (13 for 45) as a pinch hitter this season and owns a career .288 average (74 for 257). Miami's pinch hitters rank ninth in the NL with a .196 average (31 for 158).
• Marlins 1B Garrett Jones is batting .200 against left-handed pitchers. That's not cause for celebration, but it is 105 points better than he hit southpaws last season with the Pirates and six points better than his career average. Jones smacked three extra-base hits in a five-game span last week after getting just four over the previous 12 games.
One key to beating the Marlins is keeping them from scoring in the second inning. Miami has outscored opponents 51-24 in the second, which STATS, LLC says is the highest nine-inning run differential in the majors this year.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates bench coach Jeff Banister named Rangers manager
- Pirates organization to continue pursuing value free agents in offseason
- Pirates will implement price increase for 2015 tickets
- Pirates notebook: Volquez open to re-signing with team
- Pirates face mound of decisions in offseason
- Pirates weighing options with Martin
- Pirates notebook: GM Huntington says team will stretch payroll to retain Martin
- Do Pirates have what it takes to end World Series drought?
- Pirates’ Martin calls crowd chant ‘pretty special’