Wednesday's scouting report: Marlins at Pirates
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik'sinside look at Wednesday's game:
• Jeff Locke will try to get back on track after allowing 10 earned runs in his last two starts. Not only has Locke been hit hard but he also walked five batters, a departure from his excellent control to date. Locke's last two starts occurred at hitter friendly Colorado and Arizona, a return to pitcher-friendly PNC Park should help. Locke needs to be effective, as he is the one starting pitcher with options remaining and Gerrit Cole made his second rehab start Monday for Indianapolis.
• The only Pirate with a home run against Tom Koehler? Andrew McCutchen, who will be out of the lineup with a rib injury. The Pirates have only 31 career at-bats against Koehler, but he has held them to a .194 average. The Pirates will look for a boost from left-handed bats like Gregory Polanco and Ike Davis.
Clint Hurdle declined to reveal Tuesday whether there were plans for Pedro Alvarez to •begin working at first base when Alvarez returns to the club.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates sign Corey Hart to 1-year deal
- Pirates notebook: New catcher Cervelli eager to bond with staff
- Ex-Pirate Parker fights against Parkinson’s with optimistic attitude
- MLB notebook: Pirates’ Liriano gets $2 million bonus as part of 3-year, $39 million deal