Wednesday's scouting report: Marlins at Pirates
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik'sinside look at Wednesday's game:
• Jeff Locke will try to get back on track after allowing 10 earned runs in his last two starts. Not only has Locke been hit hard but he also walked five batters, a departure from his excellent control to date. Locke's last two starts occurred at hitter friendly Colorado and Arizona, a return to pitcher-friendly PNC Park should help. Locke needs to be effective, as he is the one starting pitcher with options remaining and Gerrit Cole made his second rehab start Monday for Indianapolis.
• The only Pirate with a home run against Tom Koehler? Andrew McCutchen, who will be out of the lineup with a rib injury. The Pirates have only 31 career at-bats against Koehler, but he has held them to a .194 average. The Pirates will look for a boost from left-handed bats like Gregory Polanco and Ike Davis.
Clint Hurdle declined to reveal Tuesday whether there were plans for Pedro Alvarez to •begin working at first base when Alvarez returns to the club.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Reds solve Cole, stave off Pirates’ 9th-inning rally
- Pirates notebook: New acquisition Happ more than happy to fill spot in rotation
- Starting 9: Examining Pirates’ deadline decisions
- Biertempfel: Players, MLB agree logic of season’s setup needs to be examined
- Pirates farmhand Suchy learns limits of his size, strength
- Hurdle: Soria likely to assume setup role with Watson
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, Aug. 2, 2015
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Pirates place Burnett on 15-day disabled list
- Gameday: Pirates at Cincinnati, Aug. 1, 2015