Thursday's scouting report: Marlins at Pirates
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel 's inside look at Thursday's game:
• Going into Wednesday's game, Marlins OF Giancarlo Stanton had never homered in nine career games at PNC Park. It's the only ballpark in which he has played at least six games without hitting a home run. Stanton has played in 27 different stadiums and has gone homerless in eight, although six of those were for a series of three or fewer games. Here's the upside for Stanton: he rode a six-game hitting streak at PNC Park into Wednesday's game, which is tied for his second-longest active hit streak at an opponent's ballpark.
• The Pirates lead the National League with a .332 on-base percentage and have received a league-leading 386 walks. The last season in which the Pirates topped the NL in those two categories was 1991. They also did it in 1990.
The Marlins scratched RHP Jarred Cosart (0-1, 6.75), who was supposed to start Thursday vs. the Pirates, because of an strained oblique.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates SS prospect Tucker making progress after thumb surgery
- Pirates shift times on 5 games, including rescheduling 2 fireworks nights
- For Pirates, NL Central test just got tougher
- Pirates’ reaction mixed to the news of pitch clock in minor leagues
- Korean star Kang could be financial windfall for Pirates
- Pirates officially sign Korean shortstop Kang
- Pirates notebook: For Holdzkom, a whole new world
- Pirates sign 9 to yearlong deals; 3 going to arbitration