Thursday's scouting report: Marlins at Pirates
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel 's inside look at Thursday's game:
• Going into Wednesday's game, Marlins OF Giancarlo Stanton had never homered in nine career games at PNC Park. It's the only ballpark in which he has played at least six games without hitting a home run. Stanton has played in 27 different stadiums and has gone homerless in eight, although six of those were for a series of three or fewer games. Here's the upside for Stanton: he rode a six-game hitting streak at PNC Park into Wednesday's game, which is tied for his second-longest active hit streak at an opponent's ballpark.
• The Pirates lead the National League with a .332 on-base percentage and have received a league-leading 386 walks. The last season in which the Pirates topped the NL in those two categories was 1991. They also did it in 1990.
The Marlins scratched RHP Jarred Cosart (0-1, 6.75), who was supposed to start Thursday vs. the Pirates, because of an strained oblique.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates sign Corey Hart to 1-year deal
- Pirates notebook: New catcher Cervelli eager to bond with staff
- Pirates notebook: Team ‘more relevant’ as Winter Meetings end
- Ex-Pirate Parker fights against Parkinson’s with optimistic attitude
- MLB notebook: Pirates’ Liriano gets $2 million bonus as part of 3-year, $39 million deal
- Pirates trade for left-handed reliever Bastardo