Thursday's scouting report: Marlins at Pirates
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel 's inside look at Thursday's game:
• Going into Wednesday's game, Marlins OF Giancarlo Stanton had never homered in nine career games at PNC Park. It's the only ballpark in which he has played at least six games without hitting a home run. Stanton has played in 27 different stadiums and has gone homerless in eight, although six of those were for a series of three or fewer games. Here's the upside for Stanton: he rode a six-game hitting streak at PNC Park into Wednesday's game, which is tied for his second-longest active hit streak at an opponent's ballpark.
• The Pirates lead the National League with a .332 on-base percentage and have received a league-leading 386 walks. The last season in which the Pirates topped the NL in those two categories was 1991. They also did it in 1990.
The Marlins scratched RHP Jarred Cosart (0-1, 6.75), who was supposed to start Thursday vs. the Pirates, because of an strained oblique.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Harrison’s ‘magic’ has helped to carry Pirates into MLB’s postseason
- Pirates notebook: Martin feels ‘pretty good,’ will start vs. Giants
- Volquez latest rehabbed arm to get ball on big stage for Pirates
- Rossi: Pirates plan to carry Hurdle deep into playoffs
- Scouting report: Giants at Pirates
- 20 improbable Pirates wins in 2014
- Do Pirates have what it takes to end World Series drought?
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Thursday’s scouting report: Pirates at Braves
- Saturday’s scouting report: Pirates at Reds
- Stats speak: Pirates’ patience key vs. Cincy’s Simon, Cueto