Monday's scouting report: Pirates vs. Tigers
• Despite throwing his fourth consecutive quality start, RHP Justin Verlander took a loss in his last outing. Verlander went seven innings against the Yankees and allowed two runs on five hits. Over his past four starts, Verlander has a 3.14 ERA (10 ER in 28.2 IP) and has allowed 25 hits and seven walks and racked up 19 strikeouts.
• 3B/OF Nick Castellanos, 22, and SS Eugenio Suarez, 23, are the two youngest players on the Tigers' roster. Friday, they each homered in a 5-4 victory vs. the Blue Jays. According to Elias, it was the first time in nearly 40 years that a pair of players, each of whom with fewer than 10 HRs in the majors, went deep back-to-back in the ninth inning or later of a game.
Before the All-Star break, the Tigers and Rays began talks that eventually led to LHP David Price being traded to Detroit at the July 31 non-waiver deadline. Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski called the Rays to express interest on the advice of Jim Leyland, the former Tigers manager who's now a special advisor.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates get journeyman Ishikawa off waivers; outfielder Marte injured
- Alvarez homer triggers winning outburst for Pirates
- McCutchen, Pirates hitters increasingly in crosshairs
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Padres, July 6, 2015
- Starting 9: Pirates missing out on young bat
- Locke pitches 8 scoreless innings as Pirates edge Indians
- Pirates minor league report: Ramirez more mindful while at plate
- Pirates trust eye test when voting for all-stars
- Biertempfel: Loss of All-Star paper ballots a blow to nostalgia
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Indians, July 5, 2015
- Pirates can’t overcome long rain delay, Indians in interleague setback