Monday's scouting report: Pirates vs. Tigers
• Despite throwing his fourth consecutive quality start, RHP Justin Verlander took a loss in his last outing. Verlander went seven innings against the Yankees and allowed two runs on five hits. Over his past four starts, Verlander has a 3.14 ERA (10 ER in 28.2 IP) and has allowed 25 hits and seven walks and racked up 19 strikeouts.
• 3B/OF Nick Castellanos, 22, and SS Eugenio Suarez, 23, are the two youngest players on the Tigers' roster. Friday, they each homered in a 5-4 victory vs. the Blue Jays. According to Elias, it was the first time in nearly 40 years that a pair of players, each of whom with fewer than 10 HRs in the majors, went deep back-to-back in the ninth inning or later of a game.
Before the All-Star break, the Tigers and Rays began talks that eventually led to LHP David Price being traded to Detroit at the July 31 non-waiver deadline. Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski called the Rays to express interest on the advice of Jim Leyland, the former Tigers manager who's now a special advisor.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Liriano struggles as Brewers complete sweep of Pirates
- Young guns lead way into pivotal Pirates-Cardinals series
- Pirates, Marlins in talks to play 2016 game in Puerto Rico
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen takes NL Player of the Month for 4th time
- Pirates notebook: Left-side lineup intrigue continues
- Locke struggles again early, Pirates lose again in Milwaukee
- Snider happy to return to new role with Pirates
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 3, 2015
- Two wild-card format hurting Pirates in short term
- Pirates erupt for 6-run 2nd, maul Marlins behind Locke, McCutchen
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 29, 2015