Monday's scouting report: Pirates vs. Tigers
• Despite throwing his fourth consecutive quality start, RHP Justin Verlander took a loss in his last outing. Verlander went seven innings against the Yankees and allowed two runs on five hits. Over his past four starts, Verlander has a 3.14 ERA (10 ER in 28.2 IP) and has allowed 25 hits and seven walks and racked up 19 strikeouts.
• 3B/OF Nick Castellanos, 22, and SS Eugenio Suarez, 23, are the two youngest players on the Tigers' roster. Friday, they each homered in a 5-4 victory vs. the Blue Jays. According to Elias, it was the first time in nearly 40 years that a pair of players, each of whom with fewer than 10 HRs in the majors, went deep back-to-back in the ninth inning or later of a game.
Before the All-Star break, the Tigers and Rays began talks that eventually led to LHP David Price being traded to Detroit at the July 31 non-waiver deadline. Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski called the Rays to express interest on the advice of Jim Leyland, the former Tigers manager who's now a special advisor.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Bucs set single-season attendance record
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Braves
- Pirates, Worley edge Brewers, 1-0, move to cusp of playoffs
- Pirates find a bridge at end of baseball world in Holdzkom
- Pirates notebook: Worley raring to go after skipping last start
- Pirates’ 5-game winning streak ends with 1-0 loss to Brewers
- Rossi: Melancon change good for Pirates
- Sunday’s scouting report: Brewers at Pirates
- Rossi: The series that will define these Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Bucs batters seeing doubles
- Martin’s homer rescues Pirates in 4-2 victory over Brewers