Monday's scouting report: Pirates vs. Tigers
• Despite throwing his fourth consecutive quality start, RHP Justin Verlander took a loss in his last outing. Verlander went seven innings against the Yankees and allowed two runs on five hits. Over his past four starts, Verlander has a 3.14 ERA (10 ER in 28.2 IP) and has allowed 25 hits and seven walks and racked up 19 strikeouts.
• 3B/OF Nick Castellanos, 22, and SS Eugenio Suarez, 23, are the two youngest players on the Tigers' roster. Friday, they each homered in a 5-4 victory vs. the Blue Jays. According to Elias, it was the first time in nearly 40 years that a pair of players, each of whom with fewer than 10 HRs in the majors, went deep back-to-back in the ninth inning or later of a game.
Before the All-Star break, the Tigers and Rays began talks that eventually led to LHP David Price being traded to Detroit at the July 31 non-waiver deadline. Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski called the Rays to express interest on the advice of Jim Leyland, the former Tigers manager who's now a special advisor.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pine-Richland’s DiNucci commits to Pitt
- Kittanning’s Bowers changes commitment from Pitt to Penn State
- State court blocks release of Penn State emails between Freeh investigators and Attorney General
- Funeral for Joey Fabus, honorary Bethel Park police officer, draws crowd
- Guns found at Propel Braddock Hills
- Rossi: Crosby’s debt to NHL paid in full
- City authority approves deal to finance Penguins development
- New York City hunkers down as Nor’easter threatens blizzard conditions
- Senate GOP, fired open records director file lawsuit against Wolf
- Pittsburgh police say officers in video did not use excessive force
- Penguins recall 4 players