Monday's scouting report: Pirates vs. Tigers
• Despite throwing his fourth consecutive quality start, RHP Justin Verlander took a loss in his last outing. Verlander went seven innings against the Yankees and allowed two runs on five hits. Over his past four starts, Verlander has a 3.14 ERA (10 ER in 28.2 IP) and has allowed 25 hits and seven walks and racked up 19 strikeouts.
• 3B/OF Nick Castellanos, 22, and SS Eugenio Suarez, 23, are the two youngest players on the Tigers' roster. Friday, they each homered in a 5-4 victory vs. the Blue Jays. According to Elias, it was the first time in nearly 40 years that a pair of players, each of whom with fewer than 10 HRs in the majors, went deep back-to-back in the ninth inning or later of a game.
Before the All-Star break, the Tigers and Rays began talks that eventually led to LHP David Price being traded to Detroit at the July 31 non-waiver deadline. Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski called the Rays to express interest on the advice of Jim Leyland, the former Tigers manager who's now a special advisor.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Pirates foolish to bet on Burnett return
- Rain postpones Pirates-Cubs game
- Pirates notebook: Trade movement confidence booster for Morse
- Pirates pitcher Burnett could return in 4 weeks
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cubs, August 4, 2015
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cubs, August 3, 2015
- 4 ejections, benches-clearing scrum mark Pirates’ win over Reds
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Pirates notebook: New acquisition Happ more than happy to fill spot in rotation
- Reds solve Cole, stave off Pirates’ 9th-inning rally
- Pirates bolster bullpen by trading for former closer Soria