Saturday's scouting report: Padres at Pirates
• The Pirates hope Francisco Liriano has returned to his 2013 form following the All-Star break. In his past four starts, Liriano has a 29-to-7 strikeout-to-walk ratio and has allowed four earned runs in 25 innings. Liriano claims he wasn't healthy to begin the year, and then strained his left oblique in the first half. While the Pirates didn't land an ace at the trade deadline, getting the 2013 Liriano back would be a considerable de facto addition.
• After not seeing many lefties the first three months in the right-handed heavy NL Central, the Pirates will see another lefty in Eric Stults. The Pirates are 13-10 against left-handers this season, but they will miss Andrew McCutchen's bat. The Pirates have only 22 at-bats against Stults.
Ike Davis is a superior batter against right-handed pitchers compared to Pedro Alvarez. Davis has a career .816 on-base plus slugging mark against righties. Alvarez has a .793 OPS. That complicates a potential Alvarez-to-first move.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates turn nifty double play in 9th, edge Marlins
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle mulling rotation options
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 28, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Former 1st-round pick Tucker has shoulder surgery
- Gameday: Pirates at Marlins, Aug. 27, 2015
- Pirates erupt for 6-run 2nd, maul Marlins behind Locke, McCutchen
- Biertempfel: MLB right to consider ways of enhancing playoff system
- Gameday: Pirates at Marlins, Aug. 24, 2015
- Power’s Tarpley a fan of aggressive pitch tactics
- Alvarez atones for defensive woes with home run in Pirates’ win
- Pirates’ offense in sync during 2nd-half surge