Friday's scouting report: Padres at Pirates
• Vance Worley is 2-0 with a 2.08 ERA in two career starts against the Padres. He has not faced them since 2012, when he was pitching for the Phillies. In April 2012, Worley won a 2-0 decision vs. Joe Wieland at Petco Park. In May 2011, he bested Clayton Richard, 7-3, at Citizens Bank Park. Neither Wieland nor Richard has pitched in the majors since 2012.
• Since the All-Star break, the Padres have scored 84 runs in 18 games. That's the second-highest total in the National League behind the Pirates (87 runs). The top four teams are all in the American League: the Blue Jays (93), Indians (92), White Sox and A's (88 apiece). The Padres also are ranked first in the NL in team batting average (.279) and OPS (.753), third in home runs (17) and fourth in total bases (257) in the second half of the season.
In the wake of Andrew McCutchen's injury, online betting site Bovada.com lists three favorites to win the NL MVP Award: Clayton Kershaw (4 to 7 odds), Giancarlo Stanton (7 to 4) and Yasiel Puig (10 to 1).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Pirates place Burnett on 15-day disabled list
- Gameday: Pirates at Cincinnati, Aug. 1, 2015
- Hurdle: Soria likely to assume setup role with Watson
- Pirates’ Burnett endures another poor start in blowout loss to Reds
- Pirates bolster bullpen by trading for former closer Soria
- Pirates notebook: Blanton introduced; Worley designated for assignment
- Pirates acquire pitcher Blanton from Royals for cash
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 31, 2015
- Pirates third baseman Ramirez’s last ride is about winning a ring