Friday's scouting report: Padres at Pirates
• Vance Worley is 2-0 with a 2.08 ERA in two career starts against the Padres. He has not faced them since 2012, when he was pitching for the Phillies. In April 2012, Worley won a 2-0 decision vs. Joe Wieland at Petco Park. In May 2011, he bested Clayton Richard, 7-3, at Citizens Bank Park. Neither Wieland nor Richard has pitched in the majors since 2012.
• Since the All-Star break, the Padres have scored 84 runs in 18 games. That's the second-highest total in the National League behind the Pirates (87 runs). The top four teams are all in the American League: the Blue Jays (93), Indians (92), White Sox and A's (88 apiece). The Padres also are ranked first in the NL in team batting average (.279) and OPS (.753), third in home runs (17) and fourth in total bases (257) in the second half of the season.
In the wake of Andrew McCutchen's injury, online betting site Bovada.com lists three favorites to win the NL MVP Award: Clayton Kershaw (4 to 7 odds), Giancarlo Stanton (7 to 4) and Yasiel Puig (10 to 1).
Rob Biertempfel is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @BiertempfelTrib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Pirates plan to carry Hurdle deep into playoffs
- Volquez latest rehabbed arm to get ball on big stage for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Martin feels ‘pretty good,’ will start vs. Giants
- Harrison’s ‘magic’ has helped to carry Pirates into MLB’s postseason
- Scouting report: Giants at Pirates
- 20 improbable Pirates wins in 2014
- Tekulve to throw out 1st pitch of Pirates’ postseason
- Mercer’s improved defense at shortstop gives Pirates a boost
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Rossi: No matter outcome, Pirates arrive
- Inside the decision: Pirates chose their own adventure