Friday's scouting report: Padres at Pirates
• Vance Worley is 2-0 with a 2.08 ERA in two career starts against the Padres. He has not faced them since 2012, when he was pitching for the Phillies. In April 2012, Worley won a 2-0 decision vs. Joe Wieland at Petco Park. In May 2011, he bested Clayton Richard, 7-3, at Citizens Bank Park. Neither Wieland nor Richard has pitched in the majors since 2012.
• Since the All-Star break, the Padres have scored 84 runs in 18 games. That's the second-highest total in the National League behind the Pirates (87 runs). The top four teams are all in the American League: the Blue Jays (93), Indians (92), White Sox and A's (88 apiece). The Padres also are ranked first in the NL in team batting average (.279) and OPS (.753), third in home runs (17) and fourth in total bases (257) in the second half of the season.
In the wake of Andrew McCutchen's injury, online betting site Bovada.com lists three favorites to win the NL MVP Award: Clayton Kershaw (4 to 7 odds), Giancarlo Stanton (7 to 4) and Yasiel Puig (10 to 1).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates’ outfield may have few defensive peers
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 4, Braves 2
- Pirates notebook: Decker leaves game with calf injury
- Pirates notebook: Locke makes bid for final rotation spot, Tabata cut
- Pirates pitchers finding success with expanded strike zone
- Alvarez latest in Pirates’ revolving door at first base
- Hair Cutch: Pirates superstar lops off his locks for charity