Tuesday's scouting report: Tigers at Pirates
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Tuesday's game:
• Going into Monday, the Tigers led the American League with a .273 team batting average, 1,088 hits, 238 doubles and a .427 slugging percentage. They ranked second with a .328 on-base percentage, were fourth with 513 RBIs and 528 runs scored. Victor Martinez is fourth in the league with a .321 average, and Miguel Cabrera is ninth at .304.
• This will be Edinson Volquez's fourth interleague start this season. He dropped his first two, then tossed eight strong innings June 23 in an 8-1 victory against the Rays. Volquez has faced the Tigers twice before in his career and is 0-2 with a 7.45 ERA. His last outing was in 2007, when Volquez (then with the Rangers) lost a 5-1 decision against Justin Verlander. In 2006, Volquez gave up three runs in 32⁄3 IP in another loss.
After RP Joakim Soria went on the DL with a strained oblique, the Tigers called up relievers Monday from their Triple-A team. The Tigers want to watch their recent pickup Jim Johnson, a former closer, a bit more in the minors before they decide whether to bring him up, too.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates bench coach Jeff Banister named Rangers manager
- Pirates will implement price increase for 2015 tickets
- Starkey: Pirates’ priorities should be obvious
- Pirates weighing options with Martin
- Pirates organization to continue pursuing value free agents in offseason