Wednesday's scouting report: Pirates at Tigers
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik' s inside look at Wednesday's game:
• The Pirates are fortunate they won't face David Price and Anibal Sanchez in their four-game stretch against the Tigers. Filling in for the injured Sanchez is Buck Farmer, who will make his major league debut for the Tigers on Wednesday. Farmer has pitched in only two games over A-ball, and while he has strong minor league numbers — 11-5, 2.65 ERA — he is advanced for the A-level because he pitched at Georgia Tech. He was the Tigers' fifth-round pick in last year's draft.
• The Tigers have 32 combined at-bats against Vance Worley, who has allowed home runs to Miguel Cabrera and Alex Avila. Worley faced the Tigers last season while pitching for the Twins, but Worley is a different pitcher this year. He's healthy and pounding the strike zone. Worley is walking a career-low 1.4 batters per nine innings this season.
Pedro Alvarez has started just three games since July 23, but he should be back in the Pirates' lineup at Detroit as the team's designated hitter.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Parents provide Cervelli’s inspiration
- Pirates hope 1st baseman Alvarez starts to regain power stroke
- Gameday: Pirates at Tigers, June 30, 2015
- Late rally falls short, as Pirates can’t complete sweep of Braves
- Biertempfel: Pirates’ Burnett makes pitch for All-Star Game in final season
- Finally healthy, former 1st-rounder Joe finding his way
- McCutchen’s 1st-inning exit with injury mars Pirates’ victory over Braves
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Braves, June 28, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Shortstops Mercer, Simmons effective with contrasting styles
- Starting 9: First base continues to prove problematic for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Power shortage continues, Tabata designated for assignment