Wednesday's scouting report: Pirates at Tigers
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik' s inside look at Wednesday's game:
• The Pirates are fortunate they won't face David Price and Anibal Sanchez in their four-game stretch against the Tigers. Filling in for the injured Sanchez is Buck Farmer, who will make his major league debut for the Tigers on Wednesday. Farmer has pitched in only two games over A-ball, and while he has strong minor league numbers — 11-5, 2.65 ERA — he is advanced for the A-level because he pitched at Georgia Tech. He was the Tigers' fifth-round pick in last year's draft.
• The Tigers have 32 combined at-bats against Vance Worley, who has allowed home runs to Miguel Cabrera and Alex Avila. Worley faced the Tigers last season while pitching for the Twins, but Worley is a different pitcher this year. He's healthy and pounding the strike zone. Worley is walking a career-low 1.4 batters per nine innings this season.
Pedro Alvarez has started just three games since July 23, but he should be back in the Pirates' lineup at Detroit as the team's designated hitter.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Is it time for Kang to head to Indy?
- Pirates minor league report: Rapid advancement to test Tucker
- Biertempfel: Low turnover helps keep Pirates’ chemistry intact
- Marte jump-starts Pirates in win over Brewers
- Pirates pitchers have margin for error, in mphs, and they need it
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Brewers, April 19, 2015
- Sanchez odd man out with Pirates recalling Stewart
- Pirates love home cooking provided at PNC Park
- Pirates notebook: Batters creating a breeze with high strikeout rate
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Tigers, April 14, 2015
- Pirates’ Melancon isn’t worried about drop in velocity