Wednesday's scouting report: Pirates at Tigers
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik' s inside look at Wednesday's game :
• The Pirates are fortunate they won't face David Price and Anibal Sanchez in their four-game stretch against the Tigers. Filling in for the injured Sanchez is Buck Farmer, who will make his major league debut for the Tigers on Wednesday. Farmer has pitched in only two games over A-ball, and while he has strong minor league numbers — 11-5, 2.65 ERA — he is advanced for the A-level because he pitched at Georgia Tech. He was the Tigers' fifth-round pick in last year's draft.
• The Tigers have 32 combined at-bats against Vance Worley, who has allowed home runs to Miguel Cabrera and Alex Avila. Worley faced the Tigers last season while pitching for the Twins, but Worley is a different pitcher this year. He's healthy and pounding the strike zone. Worley is walking a career-low 1.4 batters per nine innings this season.
Pedro Alvarez has started just three games since July 23, but he should be back in the Pirates' lineup at Detroit as the team's designated hitter.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Nutting says team may ‘stretch’ for Martin
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Volquez latest rehabbed arm to get ball on big stage for Pirates
- Tekulve to throw out 1st pitch of Pirates’ postseason
- Rossi: Pirates plan to carry Hurdle deep into playoffs
- Harrison’s ‘magic’ has helped to carry Pirates into MLB’s postseason
- Pirates notebook: Martin feels ‘pretty good,’ will start vs. Giants
- It’s official: Volquez to start Wednesday for Pirates
- Pirates stomp Braves to move within 1 game of 1st
- 20 improbable Pirates wins in 2014
- Mercer’s improved defense at shortstop gives Pirates a boost