Wednesday's scouting report: Pirates at Tigers
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik' s inside look at Wednesday's game:
• The Pirates are fortunate they won't face David Price and Anibal Sanchez in their four-game stretch against the Tigers. Filling in for the injured Sanchez is Buck Farmer, who will make his major league debut for the Tigers on Wednesday. Farmer has pitched in only two games over A-ball, and while he has strong minor league numbers — 11-5, 2.65 ERA — he is advanced for the A-level because he pitched at Georgia Tech. He was the Tigers' fifth-round pick in last year's draft.
• The Tigers have 32 combined at-bats against Vance Worley, who has allowed home runs to Miguel Cabrera and Alex Avila. Worley faced the Tigers last season while pitching for the Twins, but Worley is a different pitcher this year. He's healthy and pounding the strike zone. Worley is walking a career-low 1.4 batters per nine innings this season.
Pedro Alvarez has started just three games since July 23, but he should be back in the Pirates' lineup at Detroit as the team's designated hitter.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- No certainty for Pirates’ call-up veterans
- Rossi: Continuing legend of Pirate Ray
- Patience serves as virtue amid prospect Glasnow’s quest for majors
- Biertempfel: Pittsburgh native faced quick learning curve as Marlins GM
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle’s faith in Polanco pays off
- Pirates notebook: Burnett encouraged by extended simulated game
- Starting 9: Pirates place renewed emphasis on nabbing base-stealers
- Strong-armed outfielder Garcia growing into all-around threat
- Happ’s strong start, Ramirez’s homer pace Pirates past Rockies
- Pirates show depth in earning victory over Rockies; Polanco has big night
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 30, 2015