Wednesday's scouting report: Pirates at Tigers
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik' s inside look at Wednesday's game:
• The Pirates are fortunate they won't face David Price and Anibal Sanchez in their four-game stretch against the Tigers. Filling in for the injured Sanchez is Buck Farmer, who will make his major league debut for the Tigers on Wednesday. Farmer has pitched in only two games over A-ball, and while he has strong minor league numbers — 11-5, 2.65 ERA — he is advanced for the A-level because he pitched at Georgia Tech. He was the Tigers' fifth-round pick in last year's draft.
• The Tigers have 32 combined at-bats against Vance Worley, who has allowed home runs to Miguel Cabrera and Alex Avila. Worley faced the Tigers last season while pitching for the Twins, but Worley is a different pitcher this year. He's healthy and pounding the strike zone. Worley is walking a career-low 1.4 batters per nine innings this season.
Pedro Alvarez has started just three games since July 23, but he should be back in the Pirates' lineup at Detroit as the team's designated hitter.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ex-Brewers star Hart hopes to prove to Pirates he still can play
- Pirates notebook: Tabata rediscovering his power
- Lincoln tries to rejuvenate career in second stint with Pirates
- Pirates willing to consider high salary to keep star McCutchen
- Rossi: Pirates better with Maz on scene
- The Starting Nine: Silver linings for Alvarez
- Pirates notebook: Team has big plans for newcomer Kang
- Pirates notebook: Nutting expects club to win division title
- North Side start-up takes swing at mapping hitters
- Spring training crash course key for new Pirates catcher Cervelli
- Pirates notebook: Reliever Bastardo excited about new start