Wednesday's scouting report: Pirates at Tigers
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik' s inside look at Wednesday's game :
• The Pirates are fortunate they won't face David Price and Anibal Sanchez in their four-game stretch against the Tigers. Filling in for the injured Sanchez is Buck Farmer, who will make his major league debut for the Tigers on Wednesday. Farmer has pitched in only two games over A-ball, and while he has strong minor league numbers — 11-5, 2.65 ERA — he is advanced for the A-level because he pitched at Georgia Tech. He was the Tigers' fifth-round pick in last year's draft.
• The Tigers have 32 combined at-bats against Vance Worley, who has allowed home runs to Miguel Cabrera and Alex Avila. Worley faced the Tigers last season while pitching for the Twins, but Worley is a different pitcher this year. He's healthy and pounding the strike zone. Worley is walking a career-low 1.4 batters per nine innings this season.
Pedro Alvarez has started just three games since July 23, but he should be back in the Pirates' lineup at Detroit as the team's designated hitter.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates sign Corey Hart to 1-year deal
- Pirates notebook: New catcher Cervelli eager to bond with staff
- MLB notebook: Pirates’ Liriano gets $2 million bonus as part of 3-year, $39 million deal
- Ex-Pirate Parker fights against Parkinson’s with optimistic attitude
- Pirates GM Huntington shifts focus to bullpen help
- Pirates’ struggling catcher Sanchez sent home from Dominican Winter League
- Pirates trade for left-handed reliever Bastardo
- Pirates tender deals to 11 players, cut ties with Sanchez
- Pirates notebook: Pirates open to signing Walker to extension
- Pirates notebook: Team ‘more relevant’ as Winter Meetings end
- Pirates finalize Liriano’s 3-year, $39 million deal