Friday's scouting report: Pirates at Tigers
• Through their first 15 interleague games this season, Tigers pitchers came to bat 25 times and got three hits. Max Scherzer is 0 for 2, although he is tied with infielders Ian Kinsler and Andrew Romine for the team lead with two sacrifice bunts. The three Tigers pitchers with hits are Justin Verlander, Robbie Ray (vs. the Pirates) and Anibal Sanchez.
• In his career, 3B/1B Pedro Alvarez has hit 13 home runs vs. American League teams. The only Pirates with more homers in interleague play are Brian Giles and Kevin Young, with 17 apiece. Wednesday marked Alvarez's fourth career appearance as a designated hitter. He likely will be at that spot again Thursday. Alvarez has not started in the field since Aug. 2.
At Thursday's game vs. the Pirates at Comerica Park, the Tigers will give out Justin Verlander mini-bobbleheads. The previously scheduled promotion comes three days after Verlander left his start at PNC Park in the first inning due to a shoulder injury.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hurdle says Pirates must eliminate defensive gaffes
- Gameday: Pirates at Padres, May 30, 2015
- Pirates pound Padres for 7th consecutive victory
- Pirates pitching prospect Kingham undergoes Tommy John surgery
- Pirates’ Morton hopes he’s past injury-riddled part of career
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Padres, May 29, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Burnett rediscovers vintage form
- Pirates use big 7th inning to sweep Marlins, stretch winning streak
- Starkey: Kang story of the year for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Alvarez having success looking the other way
- Pirates’ McCutchen laughs off pay stub leak