Friday's scouting report: Pirates at Tigers
• Through their first 15 interleague games this season, Tigers pitchers came to bat 25 times and got three hits. Max Scherzer is 0 for 2, although he is tied with infielders Ian Kinsler and Andrew Romine for the team lead with two sacrifice bunts. The three Tigers pitchers with hits are Justin Verlander, Robbie Ray (vs. the Pirates) and Anibal Sanchez.
• In his career, 3B/1B Pedro Alvarez has hit 13 home runs vs. American League teams. The only Pirates with more homers in interleague play are Brian Giles and Kevin Young, with 17 apiece. Wednesday marked Alvarez's fourth career appearance as a designated hitter. He likely will be at that spot again Thursday. Alvarez has not started in the field since Aug. 2.
At Thursday's game vs. the Pirates at Comerica Park, the Tigers will give out Justin Verlander mini-bobbleheads. The previously scheduled promotion comes three days after Verlander left his start at PNC Park in the first inning due to a shoulder injury.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Liriano, McCutchen help Pirates to 1-0 win over Braves
- Pirates notebook: Volquez open to re-signing with team
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Braves
- Pirates find a bridge at end of baseball world in Holdzkom
- Pirates notebook: Bucs set single-season attendance record
- New approach on offense has Pirates in playoff contention this season
- Pirates, Worley edge Brewers, 1-0, move to cusp of playoffs
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Braves
- Rossi: The series that will define these Pirates
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Pirates’ 5-game winning streak ends with 1-0 loss to Brewers