Friday's scouting report: Pirates at Tigers
• Through their first 15 interleague games this season, Tigers pitchers came to bat 25 times and got three hits. Max Scherzer is 0 for 2, although he is tied with infielders Ian Kinsler and Andrew Romine for the team lead with two sacrifice bunts. The three Tigers pitchers with hits are Justin Verlander, Robbie Ray (vs. the Pirates) and Anibal Sanchez.
• In his career, 3B/1B Pedro Alvarez has hit 13 home runs vs. American League teams. The only Pirates with more homers in interleague play are Brian Giles and Kevin Young, with 17 apiece. Wednesday marked Alvarez's fourth career appearance as a designated hitter. He likely will be at that spot again Thursday. Alvarez has not started in the field since Aug. 2.
At Thursday's game vs. the Pirates at Comerica Park, the Tigers will give out Justin Verlander mini-bobbleheads. The previously scheduled promotion comes three days after Verlander left his start at PNC Park in the first inning due to a shoulder injury.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Tigers
- Shaken by economic, political turmoil, MLB forsaking Venezuela
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Indians, July 3, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Cole cool about hostile comment
- 2B Walker, Pirates smash through Tigers pitching in road victory
- Gameday: Pirates at Detroit, July 1, 2015
- Bush Center displays rare Honus Wagner baseball card
- Gameday: Pirates at Tigers, July 2, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Pitchers’ ploys force Kang to adapt
- Starkey: Cervelli’s inspiration
- Pirates minor league report: Kramer comes with power potential with short-season Black Bears