Friday's scouting report: Pirates at Tigers
• Through their first 15 interleague games this season, Tigers pitchers came to bat 25 times and got three hits. Max Scherzer is 0 for 2, although he is tied with infielders Ian Kinsler and Andrew Romine for the team lead with two sacrifice bunts. The three Tigers pitchers with hits are Justin Verlander, Robbie Ray (vs. the Pirates) and Anibal Sanchez.
• In his career, 3B/1B Pedro Alvarez has hit 13 home runs vs. American League teams. The only Pirates with more homers in interleague play are Brian Giles and Kevin Young, with 17 apiece. Wednesday marked Alvarez's fourth career appearance as a designated hitter. He likely will be at that spot again Thursday. Alvarez has not started in the field since Aug. 2.
At Thursday's game vs. the Pirates at Comerica Park, the Tigers will give out Justin Verlander mini-bobbleheads. The previously scheduled promotion comes three days after Verlander left his start at PNC Park in the first inning due to a shoulder injury.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Marte’s bat, Worley’s arm show improvement in Pirates win
- Sanchez odd man out with Pirates recalling Stewart
- Gameday: Pirates vs./at Opponent, Month Day, Year
- Pirates get ready to face Brewers pitcher Nelson, hope for better results
- Pirates love home cooking provided at PNC Park
- Pirates’ Melancon isn’t worried about drop in velocity
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Brewers, April 17, 2015
- Spared bullpen role for now, Pirates’ Worley eager to retain rotation spot
- Pirates notebook: Burnett, Cervelli rekindle bond
- Pirates’ Harrison working to use 2014 success as building block
- Pirates’ Cole works to bring past 2nd-half success to season start