Friday's scouting report: Pirates at Nationals
Nationals OF Jayson Werth was not in the lineup the past three days due to a sore AC joint in his right shoulder. Werth got a cortisone shot Wednesday after an MRI exam showed no structural damage. Werth injured the shoulder while making a catch in a game two weeks ago, then reaggravated it while making a sliding catch Sunday vs. the Braves.
• In his big league debut Tuesday, Nationals CF Michael Taylor had two hits, including a home run. According to Elias, Taylor is the third player in Nationals/Expos history to notch two hits and a homer in his first game in the majors.
Tigers closer Joe Nathan twice gave what appeared to be a chin-flick gesture toward the fans after closing out the Tigers' 8-4 win Wednesday vs. the Pirates. Nathan, who leads the AL with six blown saves, heard boos after walking the first two batters of the inning. In a Detroit Free Press online poll, 43 percent of readers chose “Hey, right back at you, buddy!” as their reaction to Nathan's gesture.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates bench coach Jeff Banister named Rangers manager
- Pirates organization to continue pursuing value free agents in offseason
- Pirates face mound of decisions in offseason
- Pirates will implement price increase for 2015 tickets
- Offensive production, filling out rotation key for Pirates next season
- Pirates GM Huntington believes his coaching staff will return intact
- Pirates are solid at shortstop with the durable Mercer in play