Friday's scouting report: Pirates at Nationals
Nationals OF Jayson Werth was not in the lineup the past three days due to a sore AC joint in his right shoulder. Werth got a cortisone shot Wednesday after an MRI exam showed no structural damage. Werth injured the shoulder while making a catch in a game two weeks ago, then reaggravated it while making a sliding catch Sunday vs. the Braves.
• In his big league debut Tuesday, Nationals CF Michael Taylor had two hits, including a home run. According to Elias, Taylor is the third player in Nationals/Expos history to notch two hits and a homer in his first game in the majors.
Tigers closer Joe Nathan twice gave what appeared to be a chin-flick gesture toward the fans after closing out the Tigers' 8-4 win Wednesday vs. the Pirates. Nathan, who leads the AL with six blown saves, heard boos after walking the first two batters of the inning. In a Detroit Free Press online poll, 43 percent of readers chose “Hey, right back at you, buddy!” as their reaction to Nathan's gesture.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Gameday: Pirates at Cincinnati, Aug. 1, 2015
- Pirates place Burnett on 15-day disabled list
- Hurdle: Soria likely to assume setup role with Watson
- Pirates’ Burnett endures another poor start in blowout loss to Reds
- Pirates bolster bullpen by trading for former closer Soria
- Pirates acquire pitcher Blanton from Royals for cash
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 31, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Blanton introduced; Worley designated for assignment
- Pirates notebook: Melancon bails out Watson with extended outing