Friday's scouting report: Pirates at Nationals
Nationals OF Jayson Werth was not in the lineup the past three days due to a sore AC joint in his right shoulder. Werth got a cortisone shot Wednesday after an MRI exam showed no structural damage. Werth injured the shoulder while making a catch in a game two weeks ago, then reaggravated it while making a sliding catch Sunday vs. the Braves.
• In his big league debut Tuesday, Nationals CF Michael Taylor had two hits, including a home run. According to Elias, Taylor is the third player in Nationals/Expos history to notch two hits and a homer in his first game in the majors.
Tigers closer Joe Nathan twice gave what appeared to be a chin-flick gesture toward the fans after closing out the Tigers' 8-4 win Wednesday vs. the Pirates. Nathan, who leads the AL with six blown saves, heard boos after walking the first two batters of the inning. In a Detroit Free Press online poll, 43 percent of readers chose “Hey, right back at you, buddy!” as their reaction to Nathan's gesture.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates again approach Polanco about contract extension
- Reliever Holdzkom among three players cut by Pirates
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 7, Tigers 3
- Reversing the field: Pirates continue to raid Yankees for hidden skill
- Steelers’ Tomlin, Pirates’ Hurdle share similar philosophy
- Pirates notebook: Locke the choice to be 5th starter
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 18, Phillies 4
- Pirates pitchers finding success with expanded strike zone
- Alvarez latest in Pirates’ revolving door at first base
- Spring training breakdown: Braves 7, Pirates 5
- Pirates notebook: Pitching prospect Taillon makes steady progress