Friday's scouting report: Pirates at Nationals
Nationals OF Jayson Werth was not in the lineup the past three days due to a sore AC joint in his right shoulder. Werth got a cortisone shot Wednesday after an MRI exam showed no structural damage. Werth injured the shoulder while making a catch in a game two weeks ago, then reaggravated it while making a sliding catch Sunday vs. the Braves.
• In his big league debut Tuesday, Nationals CF Michael Taylor had two hits, including a home run. According to Elias, Taylor is the third player in Nationals/Expos history to notch two hits and a homer in his first game in the majors.
Tigers closer Joe Nathan twice gave what appeared to be a chin-flick gesture toward the fans after closing out the Tigers' 8-4 win Wednesday vs. the Pirates. Nathan, who leads the AL with six blown saves, heard boos after walking the first two batters of the inning. In a Detroit Free Press online poll, 43 percent of readers chose “Hey, right back at you, buddy!” as their reaction to Nathan's gesture.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Pirates plan to carry Hurdle deep into playoffs
- Pirates notebook: Martin feels ‘pretty good,’ will start vs. Giants
- Volquez latest rehabbed arm to get ball on big stage for Pirates
- Harrison’s ‘magic’ has helped to carry Pirates into MLB’s postseason
- Scouting report: Giants at Pirates
- 20 improbable Pirates wins in 2014
- Mercer’s improved defense at shortstop gives Pirates a boost
- It’s official: Volquez to start Wednesday for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Reds deny intent after Cueto plunks McCutchen
- Pirates bench coach Banister interviews for Astros manager job
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant