Friday's scouting report: Pirates at Nationals
Nationals OF Jayson Werth was not in the lineup the past three days due to a sore AC joint in his right shoulder. Werth got a cortisone shot Wednesday after an MRI exam showed no structural damage. Werth injured the shoulder while making a catch in a game two weeks ago, then reaggravated it while making a sliding catch Sunday vs. the Braves.
• In his big league debut Tuesday, Nationals CF Michael Taylor had two hits, including a home run. According to Elias, Taylor is the third player in Nationals/Expos history to notch two hits and a homer in his first game in the majors.
Tigers closer Joe Nathan twice gave what appeared to be a chin-flick gesture toward the fans after closing out the Tigers' 8-4 win Wednesday vs. the Pirates. Nathan, who leads the AL with six blown saves, heard boos after walking the first two batters of the inning. In a Detroit Free Press online poll, 43 percent of readers chose “Hey, right back at you, buddy!” as their reaction to Nathan's gesture.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- McCutchen, Pirates hitters increasingly in crosshairs
- Starting 9: Pirates missing out on young bat
- Pirates minor league report: Ramirez more mindful while at plate
- Pirates trust eye test when voting for all-stars
- Locke pitches 8 scoreless innings as Pirates edge Indians
- Biertempfel: Loss of All-Star paper ballots a blow to nostalgia
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Indians, July 5, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Taillon headed for surgery, Richard traded
- Pirates can’t overcome long rain delay, Indians in interleague setback
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Indians, July 4, 2015
- Late rally falls short, as Pirates can’t complete sweep of Braves