Friday's scouting report: Pirates at Nationals
Nationals OF Jayson Werth was not in the lineup the past three days due to a sore AC joint in his right shoulder. Werth got a cortisone shot Wednesday after an MRI exam showed no structural damage. Werth injured the shoulder while making a catch in a game two weeks ago, then reaggravated it while making a sliding catch Sunday vs. the Braves.
• In his big league debut Tuesday, Nationals CF Michael Taylor had two hits, including a home run. According to Elias, Taylor is the third player in Nationals/Expos history to notch two hits and a homer in his first game in the majors.
Tigers closer Joe Nathan twice gave what appeared to be a chin-flick gesture toward the fans after closing out the Tigers' 8-4 win Wednesday vs. the Pirates. Nathan, who leads the AL with six blown saves, heard boos after walking the first two batters of the inning. In a Detroit Free Press online poll, 43 percent of readers chose “Hey, right back at you, buddy!” as their reaction to Nathan's gesture.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Castillo’s debut underscores challenges in Cuban market
- Thursday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates
- Pirates hit 3 HRs in rout of Red Sox
- Morton, Pirates blank Red Sox in series opener
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates
- Pitt notebook: Expanded game plan likely awaits Iowa
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle quiet on rotation plans
- Pirates notebook: Holdzkom’s wild ride continues
- Rare triple play sparks Pirates’ comeback victory over Cubs
- New approach on offense has Pirates in playoff contention this season