Friday's scouting report: Pirates at Nationals
Nationals OF Jayson Werth was not in the lineup the past three days due to a sore AC joint in his right shoulder. Werth got a cortisone shot Wednesday after an MRI exam showed no structural damage. Werth injured the shoulder while making a catch in a game two weeks ago, then reaggravated it while making a sliding catch Sunday vs. the Braves.
• In his big league debut Tuesday, Nationals CF Michael Taylor had two hits, including a home run. According to Elias, Taylor is the third player in Nationals/Expos history to notch two hits and a homer in his first game in the majors.
Tigers closer Joe Nathan twice gave what appeared to be a chin-flick gesture toward the fans after closing out the Tigers' 8-4 win Wednesday vs. the Pirates. Nathan, who leads the AL with six blown saves, heard boos after walking the first two batters of the inning. In a Detroit Free Press online poll, 43 percent of readers chose “Hey, right back at you, buddy!” as their reaction to Nathan's gesture.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hammel, Cubs shut down Pirates, snapping 5-game winning streak
- Starting rotation powers Pirates’ surge
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle says playing 1 position should benefit Harrison
- Fan injured by flying bat at Pirates-Cubs game at Wrigley
- Gameday: Pirates at Cubs, April 28, 2015
- Bradenton outfielder Barnes burdened by his body
- Behind starter Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Diamondbacks
- Pirates notebook: Miffed Melancon finds success, will stick with his routine
- Pirates notebook: Wainwright injury doesn’t sway Hurdle on DH
- Gameday: Pirates at Diamondbacks, April 24, 2015
- Gameday: Pirates at Cubs, April 27, 2015