Saturday's scouting report: Pirates at Nationals
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Saturday's game:
• Nationals OF Bryce Harper (21 years, 305 days old) went into this series with 48 career home runs. He likely will be among the youngest active player to reach 50. Giancarlo Stanton did it at 21 years, 281 days; Alex Rodriguez at 21 years, 313 days; Mike Trout at 21 years, 334 days; and Miguel Cabrera at 22 years, 15 days.
• Ian Desmond is one of just nine shortstops in the past 40 years to hit at least 20 home runs (exclusively as a shortstop) in at least three straight seasons. The others are Rich Aurilla (1999-2001), J.J. Hardy (2011-13), Rodriguez (1996-02), Hanely Ramirez (2007-10), Miguel Tejada (1999-06), Nomar Garciaparra (1997-99), Cal Ripken Jr. (1982-91) and Troy Tulowitzki (2009-11).
Manager Clint Hurdle said there are no plans to use RHP Gerrit Cole (sore lat) in Pirates' bullpen after he comes off the disabled list. Cole made his fourth rehab start Friday with Triple-A Indianapolis.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates pitching prospect Kingham undergoes Tommy John surgery
- Pirates use big 7th inning to sweep Marlins, stretch winning streak
- Starkey: Kang story of the year for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Alvarez having success looking the other way
- Gameday: Pirates at Padres, May 28, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Stewart, Cole develop rapport
- Starter Liriano strikes out 12, leads Pirates to series sweep of Mets
- Pirates notebook: Struggling Polanco held out of starting lineup
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Marlins, May 27, 2015
- Pirates chase Mets’ Harvey early in rout
- Pirates notebook: Morton’s return to Pirates means Liz leaves