Saturday's scouting report: Pirates at Nationals
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Saturday's game:
• Nationals OF Bryce Harper (21 years, 305 days old) went into this series with 48 career home runs. He likely will be among the youngest active player to reach 50. Giancarlo Stanton did it at 21 years, 281 days; Alex Rodriguez at 21 years, 313 days; Mike Trout at 21 years, 334 days; and Miguel Cabrera at 22 years, 15 days.
• Ian Desmond is one of just nine shortstops in the past 40 years to hit at least 20 home runs (exclusively as a shortstop) in at least three straight seasons. The others are Rich Aurilla (1999-2001), J.J. Hardy (2011-13), Rodriguez (1996-02), Hanely Ramirez (2007-10), Miguel Tejada (1999-06), Nomar Garciaparra (1997-99), Cal Ripken Jr. (1982-91) and Troy Tulowitzki (2009-11).
Manager Clint Hurdle said there are no plans to use RHP Gerrit Cole (sore lat) in Pirates' bullpen after he comes off the disabled list. Cole made his fourth rehab start Friday with Triple-A Indianapolis.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitcher Arrieta, Cubs shut down Pirates in victory at PNC Park
- Pirates notebook: Liriano shrugs off rain-ruined start
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cubs Aug. 5, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Trade movement confidence booster for Morse
- Rossi: Pirates foolish to bet on Burnett return
- Pirates pitcher Burnett could return in 4 weeks
- Rain postpones Pirates-Cubs game
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cubs, August 4, 2015
- Pirates place Burnett on 15-day disabled list
- 4 ejections, benches-clearing scrum mark Pirates’ win over Reds