Saturday's scouting report: Pirates at Nationals
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel 's inside look at Saturday's game:
• Nationals OF Bryce Harper (21 years, 305 days old) went into this series with 48 career home runs. He likely will be among the youngest active player to reach 50. Giancarlo Stanton did it at 21 years, 281 days; Alex Rodriguez at 21 years, 313 days; Mike Trout at 21 years, 334 days; and Miguel Cabrera at 22 years, 15 days.
• Ian Desmond is one of just nine shortstops in the past 40 years to hit at least 20 home runs (exclusively as a shortstop) in at least three straight seasons. The others are Rich Aurilla (1999-2001), J.J. Hardy (2011-13), Rodriguez (1996-02), Hanely Ramirez (2007-10), Miguel Tejada (1999-06), Nomar Garciaparra (1997-99), Cal Ripken Jr. (1982-91) and Troy Tulowitzki (2009-11).
Manager Clint Hurdle said there are no plans to use RHP Gerrit Cole (sore lat) in Pirates' bullpen after he comes off the disabled list. Cole made his fourth rehab start Friday with Triple-A Indianapolis.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates shift times on 5 games, including rescheduling 2 fireworks nights
- Pirates SS prospect Tucker making progress after thumb surgery
- For Pirates, NL Central test just got tougher
- Pirates sign 9 to yearlong deals; 3 going to arbitration
- Pirates manager Hurdle to have 2nd hip replacement surgery
- Pirates’ Burnett aims to defy age curve
- Pirates’ reaction mixed to the news of pitch clock in minor leagues
- Pirates officially sign Korean shortstop Kang
- Korean star Kang could be financial windfall for Pirates