Sunday's scouting report: Pirates at Nationals
• Nationals pitching coach Steve McCatty has to be pleased with how his staff has performed in “pure” pitching areas not affected by defense (walks, homers and strikeouts). The Nats rank first in the majors in fewest walks allowed, fewest home runs allowed, strikeout-to-walk ratio, walks per nine innings pitched and homers per nine innings pitched. They also are 10th in strikeouts.
• Doug Fister got the decision in the Nationals' lone victory during a four-game series vs. the Pirates at PNC Park in late May. Fister worked 5 1⁄3 innings and allowed one run on six hits with four strikeouts. The right-hander has won seven of his past eight decisions, the exception being a 2-1 loss Aug. 1 vs. the Phillies in which he gave up two runs on six hits in seven innings.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Struggling Pirates SS Mercer finding himself out on infield’s left side
- Pirates notebook: Marte gets earful from Hurdle about lazy play
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Mets, May 22, 2015
- Rossi: Hurdle needs better players, not blame
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle encouraged by improvement
- Improved Tabata rejoins Pirates roster
- Mauer’s 13th-inning homer spells doom for Pirates in home loss
- Rossi: Not too early to go with Kang
- Burnett’s strong start helps Pirates end 4-game skid
- Pirates notebook: Kang earns more time at shortstop
- Alvarez’s homer into river not enough for Pirates in loss to Twins