Sunday's scouting report: Pirates at Nationals
• Nationals pitching coach Steve McCatty has to be pleased with how his staff has performed in “pure” pitching areas not affected by defense (walks, homers and strikeouts). The Nats rank first in the majors in fewest walks allowed, fewest home runs allowed, strikeout-to-walk ratio, walks per nine innings pitched and homers per nine innings pitched. They also are 10th in strikeouts.
• Doug Fister got the decision in the Nationals' lone victory during a four-game series vs. the Pirates at PNC Park in late May. Fister worked 5 1⁄3 innings and allowed one run on six hits with four strikeouts. The right-hander has won seven of his past eight decisions, the exception being a 2-1 loss Aug. 1 vs. the Phillies in which he gave up two runs on six hits in seven innings.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Burnett’s stellar start paves way for Pirates’ victory over Diamondbacks
- Pirates’ Cole reinforces status as emerging ace
- Biertempfel: Observations from a day at the ballpark
- Gameday: Pirates at Diamondbacks, April 26, 2015
- Bradenton outfielder Barnes burdened by his body
- Pirates notebook: Miffed Melancon finds success, will stick with his routine
- Sawchik: Young Cubs could threaten for foreseeable future
- Cole shuts down Diamondbacks as Pirates open road trip with victory
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen unfazed by return to Arizona
- Pirates notebook: Fan struck by foul ball released from hospital
- Pirates look to continue success in cross-country trips