Sunday's scouting report: Pirates at Nationals
• Nationals pitching coach Steve McCatty has to be pleased with how his staff has performed in “pure” pitching areas not affected by defense (walks, homers and strikeouts). The Nats rank first in the majors in fewest walks allowed, fewest home runs allowed, strikeout-to-walk ratio, walks per nine innings pitched and homers per nine innings pitched. They also are 10th in strikeouts.
• Doug Fister got the decision in the Nationals' lone victory during a four-game series vs. the Pirates at PNC Park in late May. Fister worked 5 1⁄3 innings and allowed one run on six hits with four strikeouts. The right-hander has won seven of his past eight decisions, the exception being a 2-1 loss Aug. 1 vs. the Phillies in which he gave up two runs on six hits in seven innings.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Locke struggles again early, Pirates lose again in Milwaukee
- Pirates notebook: Left-side lineup intrigue continues
- Snider happy to return to new role with Pirates
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 3, 2015
- No bitter brew for Mercer over reduced playing time after injury
- Cole struggles as Brewers continue Miller mastery over Pirates
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 2, 2015
- Starting 9: Pirates place renewed emphasis on nabbing base-stealers
- Patience serves as virtue amid prospect Glasnow’s quest for majors
- Two wild-card format hurting Pirates in short term