Sunday's scouting report: Pirates at Nationals
• Nationals pitching coach Steve McCatty has to be pleased with how his staff has performed in “pure” pitching areas not affected by defense (walks, homers and strikeouts). The Nats rank first in the majors in fewest walks allowed, fewest home runs allowed, strikeout-to-walk ratio, walks per nine innings pitched and homers per nine innings pitched. They also are 10th in strikeouts.
• Doug Fister got the decision in the Nationals' lone victory during a four-game series vs. the Pirates at PNC Park in late May. Fister worked 5 1⁄3 innings and allowed one run on six hits with four strikeouts. The right-hander has won seven of his past eight decisions, the exception being a 2-1 loss Aug. 1 vs. the Phillies in which he gave up two runs on six hits in seven innings.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates third baseman Ramirez’s last ride is about winning a ring
- Gameday: Pirates at Twins, July 28, 2015
- Pirates notebook: No sign of improvement for RHP Sadler
- Cole collects MLB-best 14th win as Pirates take series against Nationals
- Starting 9: Pirates help and the illusion of help
- Pirates minor league report: Moore a breakout star in Morgantown
- Making splash at MLB trade deadline not always in buyers’ best interest
- Pirates notebook: Cervelli cherishes All-Star gift from teammate Burnett
- Nationals pound Burnett, Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Ramirez thrown into spotlight upon joining Pirates
- Rossi: Pirates, Cardinals deserve October showdown