Monday's scouting report: Braves at Pirates
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Monday's game:
• The Braves homered four times Friday vs. the A's, including rookie INF Phil Gosselin's first career HR. It was the fourth time this season and the second time in a week the Braves hit at least four HRs in a game. The Braves are tied for seventh in the NL with 99 home runs, 10 fewer than the Pirates.
• OF Justin Upton last week had a streak of six games with at least one RBI. However, he has collected 45 of his 73 RBIs (61.6 percent) this season at Turner Field. In road games, Upton has a much worse batting average (.246 vs. .315 at home) and OPS (.709 vs. 1.015). In 40 games overall since the start of July, Upton is batting .298 with six HRs and 27 RBIs.
Reliever Stolmy Pimentel tested his sprained right ankle Sunday by throwing off the mound in the bullpen. Pimentel appears to be making progress and is walking without a noticeable limp. He is eligible to come off the DL on Aug. 29, but might be held out until rosters expand Sept. 1.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates sign Corey Hart to 1-year deal
- Pirates trade for left-handed reliever Bastardo
- Pirates notebook: New catcher Cervelli eager to bond with staff
- Ex-Pirate Parker fights against Parkinson’s with optimistic attitude
- MLB notebook: Pirates’ Liriano gets $2 million bonus as part of 3-year, $39 million deal
- Pirates star McCutchen marries in private ceremony
- Pirates’ struggling catcher Sanchez sent home from Dominican Winter League
- Pirates notebook: Pirates open to signing Walker to extension
- Pirates notebook: Team ‘more relevant’ as Winter Meetings end
- Pirates finalize Liriano’s 3-year, $39 million deal