Monday's scouting report: Braves at Pirates
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel'sinside look at Monday's game:
• The Braves homered four times Friday vs. the A's, including rookie INF Phil Gosselin's first career HR. It was the fourth time this season and the second time in a week the Braves hit at least four HRs in a game. The Braves are tied for seventh in the NL with 99 home runs, 10 fewer than the Pirates.
• OF Justin Upton last week had a streak of six games with at least one RBI. However, he has collected 45 of his 73 RBIs (61.6 percent) this season at Turner Field. In road games, Upton has a much worse batting average (.246 vs. .315 at home) and OPS (.709 vs. 1.015). In 40 games overall since the start of July, Upton is batting .298 with six HRs and 27 RBIs.
Reliever Stolmy Pimentel tested his sprained right ankle Sunday by throwing off the mound in the bullpen. Pimentel appears to be making progress and is walking without a noticeable limp. He is eligible to come off the DL on Aug. 29, but might be held out until rosters expand Sept. 1.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Pitching prospect Taillon makes steady progress
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 3, Yankees 1
- Pirates pitcher Locke fighting for 5th spot in starting rotation
- Pirates notebook: Morton lacks efficiency in spring training debut
- Rossi: Kang would benefit from less attention
- Spring training breakdown: Yankees 2, Pirates 1
- Pirates look to put more pressure on opposition with better baserunning
- Pirates notebook: Harrison’s day cut short by ankle injury
- Ex-Brewers star Hart hopes to prove to Pirates he still can play
- Pirates notebook: Sadler gets first Grapefruit start
- Pirates special instructor Tekulve taking second chance to heart