Monday's scouting report: Braves at Pirates
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel'sinside look at Monday's game:
• The Braves homered four times Friday vs. the A's, including rookie INF Phil Gosselin's first career HR. It was the fourth time this season and the second time in a week the Braves hit at least four HRs in a game. The Braves are tied for seventh in the NL with 99 home runs, 10 fewer than the Pirates.
• OF Justin Upton last week had a streak of six games with at least one RBI. However, he has collected 45 of his 73 RBIs (61.6 percent) this season at Turner Field. In road games, Upton has a much worse batting average (.246 vs. .315 at home) and OPS (.709 vs. 1.015). In 40 games overall since the start of July, Upton is batting .298 with six HRs and 27 RBIs.
Reliever Stolmy Pimentel tested his sprained right ankle Sunday by throwing off the mound in the bullpen. Pimentel appears to be making progress and is walking without a noticeable limp. He is eligible to come off the DL on Aug. 29, but might be held out until rosters expand Sept. 1.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates turn nifty double play in 9th, edge Marlins
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle mulling rotation options
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 28, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Former 1st-round pick Tucker has shoulder surgery
- Gameday: Pirates at Marlins, Aug. 27, 2015
- Pirates erupt for 6-run 2nd, maul Marlins behind Locke, McCutchen
- Alvarez atones for defensive woes with home run in Pirates’ win
- Biertempfel: MLB right to consider ways of enhancing playoff system
- Gameday: Pirates at Marlins, Aug. 25, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Burnett’s simulated game goes well
- Marte’s glove, walk-off homer push Pirates past Giants