Tuesday's scouting report: Braves at Pirates
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik's inside look at Tuesday's game:
• Francisco Liriano was outdueled by Max Scherzer his last time out, but he continues to pitch well in the second half, generating a 1.89 ERA over 38 innings since the break. Fastball command — in addition to health — has been key for Liriano in regaining his 2013 form. Liriano had a 2-to-1, strikeout-to-walk ratio in the first half, but he's struck out 42 against 12 walks in the second half.
• Andrew McCutchen hopes to return to the lineup Tuesday. Perhaps he is targeting that day because he has a .357 career average against Aaron Harang. The Pirates have a team average .299 against Harang. Pedro Alvarez has 1 hit in 11 career at-bats against Harang. Ike Davis has no hits in four career at-bats.
If Alvarez starts over Ike Davis at first base often, as he did Monday, the Pirates will be benching a player who has better career numbers against right-handed pitching than Alvarez. It is also a signal that Davis could be on the move this offseason.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates’ 5-game winning streak ends with 1-0 loss to Brewers
- Pirates notebook: Worley raring to go after skipping last start
- Pirates find a bridge at end of baseball world
- Martin’s homer rescues Pirates in 4-2 victory over Brewers
- Sunday’s scouting report: Brewers at Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Morton scratched from Sunday’s start
- Saturday’s scouting report: Brewers at Pirates