Tuesday's scouting report: Braves at Pirates
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik'sinside look at Tuesday's game:
• Francisco Liriano was outdueled by Max Scherzer his last time out, but he continues to pitch well in the second half, generating a 1.89 ERA over 38 innings since the break. Fastball command — in addition to health — has been key for Liriano in regaining his 2013 form. Liriano had a 2-to-1, strikeout-to-walk ratio in the first half, but he's struck out 42 against 12 walks in the second half.
• Andrew McCutchen hopes to return to the lineup Tuesday. Perhaps he is targeting that day because he has a .357 career average against Aaron Harang. The Pirates have a team average .299 against Harang. Pedro Alvarez has 1 hit in 11 career at-bats against Harang. Ike Davis has no hits in four career at-bats.
If Alvarez starts over Ike Davis at first base often, as he did Monday, the Pirates will be benching a player who has better career numbers against right-handed pitching than Alvarez. It is also a signal that Davis could be on the move this offseason.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Burnett pitches well in farewell, but Pirates lose to Reds
- Are Pirates better positioned to win it all this postseason?
- Pirates fans on edge as season again coming down to wild card
- Starting 9: How can the Pirates catch the Cardinals in the future?
- Pirates notebook: It’s official: Cole to start wild-card game against Cubs
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Reds, Oct. 4, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Morton traces struggles to mechanics of delivery
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Reds October 3, 2015
- Marte’s 2-run homer in 12th polishes off Reds
- Rossi: The case for the Pirates is their ace
- Pirates notebook: Locke left out of Pirates plans for Reds series