Tuesday's scouting report: Braves at Pirates
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik's inside look at Tuesday's game:
• Francisco Liriano was outdueled by Max Scherzer his last time out, but he continues to pitch well in the second half, generating a 1.89 ERA over 38 innings since the break. Fastball command — in addition to health — has been key for Liriano in regaining his 2013 form. Liriano had a 2-to-1, strikeout-to-walk ratio in the first half, but he's struck out 42 against 12 walks in the second half.
• Andrew McCutchen hopes to return to the lineup Tuesday. Perhaps he is targeting that day because he has a .357 career average against Aaron Harang. The Pirates have a team average .299 against Harang. Pedro Alvarez has 1 hit in 11 career at-bats against Harang. Ike Davis has no hits in four career at-bats.
If Alvarez starts over Ike Davis at first base often, as he did Monday, the Pirates will be benching a player who has better career numbers against right-handed pitching than Alvarez. It is also a signal that Davis could be on the move this offseason.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates will implement price increase for 2015 tickets
- Pirates organization to continue pursuing value free agents in offseason
- Pirates bench coach Jeff Banister named Rangers manager
- 20 improbable Pirates wins in 2014
- Starkey: Pirates’ priorities should be obvious
- Sound familiar? Pirates enter offseason trying to solidify 1B position
- Pirates GM Huntington believes his coaching staff will return intact
- Pirates face mound of decisions in offseason
- Pirates’ Banister named finalist for Rangers’ managing job